Brake lights at idle

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASUN

During daytime, the rear of the car do not have any lights if you not pressing on the brake pedal. I manually turn on my lights for this reason.

You may be at risk of being hit from behind by a careless/distracted driver who is not aware you are fully stopped at a light.

Would be nice if BMW can automatically put on the brake lights while you are idling at a traffic light.

Perhaps a code for the car to tell you are slowing down and made a stop, so the brake lights will come on until you press the accelerator again, or reached a certain low speed (1-5 km/h).

The vehicle will turn on the brake lights automatically once your deceleration reaches a certain point, whether you use the brakes or rely on regen, but, as you've said, it does not turn them on while stopped. I've found, though, that if there's any slope to the road, you need them to keep from rolling forward. It will only hold on a hill if it's opposite where the drive indicator is (i.e., backwards when in drive). Depending on the slope of the hill, it can end up using energy (as evidenced by viewing the power meter) to hold ,so I try to use the parking brake in those circumstances.

Note, in some countries, it is considered bad form to sit at a light with your foot on the brake...it is expected that you'd use your parking brakes to keep the glare down for those behind you. Yes, that relies on people actually paying attention that you are stopped, but that is expected. Those lights also consume power, so it also makes sense BMW wouldn't automatically keep them on while stopped, leaving that decision to the operator.

Same as a manual car, does not require the brakes to be held like an automatic car. (well, unless the road is sloping forward)

If it is a concern, just put your foot on the brake pedal at the lights.

FWIW, I've been known to flash my brake lights while at a stop in a manual transmission car to try to get the attention of those that might be approaching too fast...can't do that if the car automatically turns them on. Obviously, if you try that with an automatic, you could rear-end the guy in front. Most of the cars I've bought recently, haven't been available with a manual, so I'm probably a bit out of practice, but have many miles on them and not had an issue with the brake lights not being on while stopped.

Just glance at the rear view mirror while you're stopped. If you see a car approaching from behind and you are concerned about this car colliding with your car, pump the brake pedal to flash the brake lights. No need to have the brake lights automatically on while stopped which could be annoying to the car behind you at night.

A distracted driver may rear-end you whether your lights are on or not. If you go down this road, why not equip every car with a big flashing light on the top like school buses? How about a siren when stopped? ;)

spinball said:
A distracted driver may rear-end you whether your lights are on or not. If you go down this road, why not equip every car with a big flashing light on the top like school buses? How about a siren when stopped? ;)

Well whether they do this or not a car that does not have the red break lights (indicating clearly you are not stopped) is a very good design. Just because someone doesn't notice them once doesn't mean they should not be there for the other 1000 times.

Another "interesting" decision by BMW about the i3.

This whole idea is without direction.

Are there any cars that actually apply the brake lights when the car is stopped and the driver does not have their foot on the brake pedal?

If you use "Hold" mode on the newer BMWs, the brake lights are not on when the car is not moving. Smart!

Bawareca said:
If you use "Hold" mode on the newer BMWs, the brake lights are not on when the car is not moving. Smart!
This is absolutely no different than any other car I'm aware of when you apply the parking brake...the brake lights do not come on.

One of our forum members mentioned that in the UK, sitting with your foot on the brake at a light is severely frowned on...they use their parking brakes to not have the glare to those behind. It's somewhat of a sad situation that people can't notice a red light/stop sign, etc., and realize that people are stopped. Says something about the average US driver.

Back