Battery life if run battery down on daily commute (REX)

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chriswestberks

Hello, I've just accepted a new contract with a daily commute which requires me to exhaust the battery and finish the last 20 miles on the return leg on REX. I understand this would shorten the battery life on most EVs, but the i3 reserves about 20% of the battery which can never be run down by normal driving. Nevertheless, would this daily commute likely shorten my battery life?
Thanks, Chris

IMHO, in the short answer, yes...but, by how much, that's hard to say. BMW's battery warranty, at least in the USA is 8-years, or 100,000-miles...it must still hold at least 70% of a new pack's capacity. The battery tech in the i3 is not the same as a typical cellphone's. They are designed for much longer life and the charging logic is much more complex to aid in that result.

Another option would be to code your car so you have full control of the REX and then just turn it on early so you're not bringing the battery so low everyday.

Nobody really know what will happen yet in the long run but personally I believe that bringing the battery down to that low of a charge on a daily basis would be bad for the battery in the long run even though BMW does have a buffer built in.

Bmw confirmed on the phone this would shorten battery life, which makes sense. I am turning on the Rex at about 25% of viewable capacity

Back