jadnashuanh

Re: i3 Accident Collision :(

Thu May 18, 2017 9:23 pm

One other thing to consider...and I'm not positive on the i3 but true on others, that tensioning action stretches the seatbelt webbing, and they should also be replaced after being triggered or they won't provide the same protection should they be needed in another accident. Some systems just snug them up with a motor, some use a pyrotechnic charge. Not really sure which the i3 uses. If it's pyrotechnic, for maximum safety, the seat belts may need to be replaced. If the crash is significant, just your weight and inertia can stretch them, and they should be replaced. They may look fine, but won't perform properly.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

ZeroEmissionz

Sat May 20, 2017 1:48 am

Seatbelt is in a locked stretched position , very far stretched not sure how big the previous owner was lol, I'm telling you I'm a big guy I weigh 115Kg six foot four tall and this seatbelt was like about 20cm loose around my chest when plugged in HAHAH. Open" ed the seatbelt to attempt some sort of repair to unlock the locking mechanism that locks the belt in a collision , had to basically pull the whole belt apart and it works on pyrotechnics too as the 12v battery lead does. It forces about 15 ball bearings into a carriage that lock the seatbelt. Pulled apart the belt removed all the bearings but the belt does not function like before (engages only sometimes) I think if you did it with time and concentration and a lot of tools you would be able to "maybe" manage a pull apart and , put back together, but you would need to shear off bolts that close up the whole seatbelt system then maybe replace them with nut and threads , also the plastic clips would need to be either drilled or broken apart and somehow screwed or glued back together , the reason I attempted to do a repair here in Australia a seatbelt is about $700($500USD) so it was worth seeing the difficulty involved and if it was possible. Personally I wont gamble my life with a seatbelt, so I'm going to be getting one from the states , paid for it $85US about $110 Australian dollars.

I have opened the battery lead it works on a charge system too (pyrotechnics) it is a simple system, that can be re-engaged by bending the lead back to make contact with where it separated from , used some pliers (very easy fix) , now will maybe have to place a resistor there to bypass the system from saying "SRS faulty". I think I'm going to have to take out the HV battery because the dash still comes up with a error saying HV system not activated , so maybe there is another safety mechanism at the battery not sure hopefully the previous poster who has the diagnostic diagrams is able to shed light, or anyone else for that matter.

How do you upload photos ?

alohart

Sat May 20, 2017 2:22 am

ZeroEmissionz wrote:How do you upload photos ?

The administrator has not allowed photos to be uploaded to this forum, but you can display photos in a post by following these instructions.
Aloha,
Art

Honolulu, HI, US: 2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE
Uppsala, SE: CONDITIONALLY SOLD: 2000 Honda Insight hybrid

ZeroEmissionz

Sun May 21, 2017 7:39 am

Here is a photo of the positive lead disconnecting by the safety pyrotechnics system after collision, this disconnects the High Voltage battery https://goo.gl/photos/oRqckJQgh7Q1FRBx6

This is it pushed back in to re-engage the High Voltage battery, notice how the ball head is pushed into place (engaging the HV battery)
First disconnect the orange clip near the bottle for the HV battery
https://goo.gl/photos/mKSUcgTTnaMyfeNk9

Here is the cover removed from the Positive Terminal to access the repair, notice I used a drill to remove the pins
https://goo.gl/photos/1ENVVhja18Loz3jP7

Does the HV battery have its own independent safety disconnection in case of collision ?

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”