What is BMW Connectedrive (exactly)

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pedalquickly

I recently purchased a 2014 i3 Rex. I have the BMW Connectedrive subscription service through the end of this month (October). I have looked at the BMW site, and I am really unclear what the service is exactly, and if it is worth continuing the subscription. Can someone tell me what it is?

BMW's website describes what is included in this package. One thing I remember, is real-time traffic information. Mine expired in June, and I decided that it did not provide me with much I would miss...but, your results may differ. I'm retired, so traffic jams aren't something I normally worry about. I do not remember what else is in that package. It's not a huge cost (I think it is $199/year), but if you don't use it, why pay for it!

It essentially enables data connectivity for the car. That means real time ttraffic, internet access, nav destination search, widgets like weather, maybe even the ability to access the car remotely with the iRemote smartphone app.

I also drive a 2014 model and was surprised when one day the data just stopped working. No advance warning from BMW or the dealer that the subscription was up for renewal. When I called the dealer they initially thought it was a failure in the 3G data radio in the car until I pressed them to think of other possibilities. They then checked the subscription and found the cause.

I have renewed it for three years because the real time traffic data is key to my commute.

FWIW, in the USA, prior to my initial 3-year subscription running out, I got a couple of letters from BMWUSA alerting me, and asking if I wanted to renew. The iRemote app will continue to work without the subscription, at least in the USA for quite awhile yet, without it, though. For me, it wasn't particularly useful, nor was the Sirius radio subscription.

I too never received any warning of subscription running out and I asked dealer when my weather widgets disappeared and they told me I needed a password reset to fix. When that did not work they told me to bring car in and they would fix. Then they told me service was only for 3 years and subscription had expired. Fine but never have I been offered opportunity to renew or even pricing for same....

@$199 I wouldn't renew anyway as traffic information was often not accurate (plus I'm retired) and I don't want to pay $199 for 3 day weather widget in Vancouver. Rain is rain! Have never used concierge if that's also included?

Seems BMW Canada and BMWUSA handle things a bit differently. I have no idea for sure what that service costs in Canada...it might very well be different than that in the USA.

I can't find much info on the Connectedrive for the i3. I have the app on my android phone and can see the status of the car, lock the doors etc,. However I can't get many of the other features to work such as Pandora when I plug my phone into the USB port.

Can't you display your text messages and emails on the display, and respond by voice?

I have the LG V20.

Back