Kiwi

Re: BMW i3 To Get 43.2 kWh Battery Pack In Late 2018 (Rumor)

Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:45 pm

I really like BMW's gas/petrol range extender just for its piece of mind when away driving past its stored battery milage. I would rather drive home on petrol than having to wait round for the battery to charge and even worse if their's EV's ahead waiting to charge.

bwilson4web
Forum Supporter

Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:15 pm

Kiwi wrote:I really like BMW's gas/petrol range extender just for its piece of mind when away driving past its stored battery milage. I would rather drive home on petrol than having to wait round for the battery to charge and even worse if their's EV's ahead waiting to charge.

Correct! There are significant areas of the USA where there is insufficient charging infrastructure to support EV only cross-country travel BUT that ignores the obvious problem of charge rate.

Even the fastest charging Teslas at a SuperCharger has a significant delay. It is a delay that means the block-to-block speed is under 50 mph, closer to 40 mph.

I appreciate the Tesla effort but battery charge rates still don't support gas equivalent charging rates.

Bob Wilson

theothertom

Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:08 am

I agree that charge rate is an issue, especially for a more widespread adoption. And, with current battery technology, it gets worse as battery capacity increases. It doesn’t help that the charging network is not built out and is sometimes unreliable, especially in hot weather.
Companies are working hard on new battery technology for fast charging (5-10 minutes) but until that comes in stream EV adoption will be limited.

johnnylingo

Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:00 pm

theothertom wrote:I agree that charge rate is an issue, especially for a more widespread adoption.

But...

A 43 kWh battery pack will provide for ~175 miles range. Those with home L2 chargers can do a complete charge in under 8 hours and leave with a "full tank of gas" every morning. For me, this is the perfect sweet spot.

How often does one drive over 175 miles in a single day? Road trips, and that's about it. And I'd much rather rent a sedan or SUV for a road trip anyways, as the i3 was not designed with fast highway driving in mind.

alohart

Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:10 pm

johnnylingo wrote:A 43 kWh battery pack will provide for ~175 miles range.

This rumored battery pack is based on Samsung SDI's 120 Ah battery cells which have twice the capacity of the original 60 Ah i3 battery pack. The E.P.A. range of the 60 Ah BEV is 81 miles, so the range of the heavier 120 Ah battery pack will almost certainly be less than 162 miles.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

Kiwi

Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:23 pm

I was looking forward to maybe purchasing the new i3 Sport and now I'll have to wait for the higher KWh battery pack. At least I'll arrange a weekend test drive of the i3s in November and wait for another year.

jadnashuanh

Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:22 pm

Kiwi wrote:I was looking forward to maybe purchasing the new i3 Sport and now I'll have to wait for the higher KWh battery pack. At least I'll arrange a weekend test drive of the i3s in November and wait for another year.

Depends on what your actual needs are. Just like in computers, especially in the beginning, wait 6-months, and the processors were faster, memory was cheaper, disk drives were bigger. At some point, you have to make a decision that this is good enough. In my case, given my limited needs for daily range, my 2014 i3 is fine, and I've been enjoying it for over 3-years, and expect that I can for many more. I don't really worry about resale value or the fact that newer ones have higher capacity batteries. The basic car, including the body, motor, etc. hasn't really changed but it now comes with a bigger 'fuel tank'. Unless the car is changed, I think the existing range is more than enough...longer trips available with a bigger battery wouldn't end to be as comfortable as in my other car, nor, can I carry as much, which can be beneficial on longer trips with more people and luggage. And, my other car has seen over 500-miles on a tank before I needed to stop while refilling was minutes verses hours. Even with an existing CCS charge, the bigger the battery, it's going to take awhile. Yes, eventually, the battery tech will allow rapid charges to batteries, but that infrastructure is a long ways away, as is even lots of CCS units everywhere.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

Kiwi

Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:10 am

jadnashuanh wrote:
Kiwi wrote:I was looking forward to maybe purchasing the new i3 Sport and now I'll have to wait for the higher KWh battery pack. At least I'll arrange a weekend test drive of the i3s in November and wait for another year.

Depends on what your actual needs are. Just like in computers, especially in the beginning, wait 6-months, and the processors were faster, memory was cheaper, disk drives were bigger. At some point, you have to make a decision that this is good enough. In my case, given my limited needs for daily range, my 2014 i3 is fine, and I've been enjoying it for over 3-years, and expect that I can for many more. I don't really worry about resale value or the fact that newer ones have higher capacity batteries. The basic car, including the body, motor, etc. hasn't really changed but it now comes with a bigger 'fuel tank'. Unless the car is changed, I think the existing range is more than enough...longer trips available with a bigger battery wouldn't end to be as comfortable as in my other car, nor, can I carry as much, which can be beneficial on longer trips with more people and luggage. And, my other car has seen over 500-miles on a tank before I needed to stop while refilling was minutes verses hours. Even with an existing CCS charge, the bigger the battery, it's going to take awhile. Yes, eventually, the battery tech will allow rapid charges to batteries, but that infrastructure is a long ways away, as is even lots of CCS units everywhere.

Its great you have enjoyed your i3 and still enjoying it.

I agree on the battery distance and charging. My observation over the i3 is hopefully fixed with the new i3s as the changes BMW has made is my thoughts on what needed an upgrade.
I have a BMW 2 series convertible for weekends and long trips and my BEV is used for wet days and work. I'm not one to be in either camp of only battery or petrol car I enjoy them both. The one thing I do enjoy is new technology and the i3 is up their if not better than the rest including Tesla.

Return to “News and Main BMW i3 Forum Discussions”