I33t

Re: Anybody have an brake-related accident in an i3?

Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:30 pm

nitramluap wrote:
MikeS wrote:As i said previously on my 2014 REX the brakes are definitely applied when I go down hill with 100% charge and lift the accelerator - I can hear the noise of the callipers!!

Well, our two 2017 BEVs never do so I guess they’ve improved it. Thank goodness too. I’m not keen on having my car ride the brakes downhill without my explicit knowledge. Brake fade anyone...?

Not a brake fade problem for several reasons. Firstly, the vehicle is relatively light so heavy brake application is not required. Secondly, the front brakes are vented so they would take a lot of braking before the brakes would generate enough heat to have brake fade. Remember this is a BMW, not a 1965 Mini :)

At our place, we are up on top of a steep hill 300m. Some people won't drive their cars up the hill because they are afraid :D Never had brake fade coming down the hill, or even any brake smell or smoke from overheated brakes. Non issue. You said you have a mild slope not a steep slope like here, so even the early i3 wouldn't apply significant brakes on your slope.
2014 BMW i3 BEV deposit placed 19th Dec 2013
Delivered in Melbourne 4/12/2014. Arrived locally 11/12/14, with 24km on the clock.

MikeS

Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:34 pm

Car does not ‘ride the brakes’ as they are applied relatively lightly.
BMW 3 Series 2005 - Aug 2014
BMW Z4 35i 2009 - Mar 2014
BMW X1 Mar 14
BMW i3 Sep 14

nitramluap

Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:23 am

MikeS wrote:Car does not ‘ride the brakes’ as they are applied relatively lightly.

Except by definition, and according to the wooly anecdotes here, they’re applying a braking force equal to maximum regeneration if the battery wasn’t full... which is not ‘light’ at all.

You can’t all be right so make up your minds. :roll:

Either way, I’m glad my car doesn’t do this. Saves on brake pads too.

MikeS

Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:24 am

I love the way you keep making assumptions. As I think I said previously the brakes are not fully applied but it sounds like they are just applied sufficiently to make contact with the discs (an hence providing some cleaning action) and there is still some ‘regen’ slowing the car. I have driven this car for 3 years and this is by no means ‘an anecdote(!)’
BMW 3 Series 2005 - Aug 2014
BMW Z4 35i 2009 - Mar 2014
BMW X1 Mar 14
BMW i3 Sep 14

nitramluap

Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:32 pm

MikeS wrote:I love the way you keep making assumptions. As I think I said previously the brakes are not fully applied but it sounds like they are just applied sufficiently to make contact with the discs (an hence providing some cleaning action) and there is still some ‘regen’ slowing the car. I have driven this car for 3 years and this is by no means ‘an anecdote(!)’

How ironic...

You’ve misread my reply totally out of context and are replying to the ‘brake application when wet’ sub-topic, when I am actually discussing the use of the brakes by the car instead of regeneration (to slow the car), when the battery is fully charged. Two entirely different things.

I’m very happy that my i3, and every other BMW I’ve owned over the past 25 years, applies the brakes lightly to dry the discs and pads when it’s raining. There’s nothing new, special or concerning about it. I’m aslo happy it doesn’t apply the brakes to slow the car, in addition to regen, when the battery is full.

Gocat

Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:37 pm

Hi
Yes I agree with your post I don't believe the i3 Brakes are very good in an emergency stop on a couple of occasions wanted to stop the car quickly only for it sail past where I wanted to stop . I first thought the brakes needed to bed in but they have not improved and do not inspire confidence. I think that the brakes have been engineered to minimise the weight and are thus are of a small dimension. If I kept dabbing the brake to keep the temp up of the discs and pads then the brakes would be acceptable ,but it kind of defeats the object of regenerative braking .
It seems by the response I received from my post about the brakes that only you and I appreciate decent brakes . I drive my i3 on the whole very carefully and quite easily complete my journey of 124 miles without using the brake pedal once .

jadnashuanh

Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:11 pm

I've only had to make an emergency stop once when an idiot ran a red light...the brakes very abruptly stopped the car as well as in any other vehicle I've owned over the last 50-years, if not better. I will say that if there's significantly different traction between wheels, the car will proceed almost as if you weren't pressing them at all. Try both trying to accelerate or stop in say a snow covered parking lot.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

Return to “Buying the BMW i3”