BMW i3 To Get 43.2 kWh Battery Pack In Late 2018 (Rumor)

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markbb99

Here's a link to an article about the 2019 I3
https://cleantechnica.com/2017/10/10/bmw-i3-get-43-2-kwh-battery-pack-late-2018-rumor/

I really like BMW's gas/petrol range extender just for its piece of mind when away driving past its stored battery milage. I would rather drive home on petrol than having to wait round for the battery to charge and even worse if their's EV's ahead waiting to charge.

Kiwi said:
I really like BMW's gas/petrol range extender just for its piece of mind when away driving past its stored battery milage. I would rather drive home on petrol than having to wait round for the battery to charge and even worse if their's EV's ahead waiting to charge.
Correct! There are significant areas of the USA where there is insufficient charging infrastructure to support EV only cross-country travel BUT that ignores the obvious problem of charge rate.

Even the fastest charging Teslas at a SuperCharger has a significant delay. It is a delay that means the block-to-block speed is under 50 mph, closer to 40 mph.

I appreciate the Tesla effort but battery charge rates still don't support gas equivalent charging rates.

Bob Wilson

I agree that charge rate is an issue, especially for a more widespread adoption. And, with current battery technology, it gets worse as battery capacity increases. It doesn’t help that the charging network is not built out and is sometimes unreliable, especially in hot weather.
Companies are working hard on new battery technology for fast charging (5-10 minutes) but until that comes in stream EV adoption will be limited.

theothertom said:
I agree that charge rate is an issue, especially for a more widespread adoption.

But...

A 43 kWh battery pack will provide for ~175 miles range. Those with home L2 chargers can do a complete charge in under 8 hours and leave with a "full tank of gas" every morning. For me, this is the perfect sweet spot.

How often does one drive over 175 miles in a single day? Road trips, and that's about it. And I'd much rather rent a sedan or SUV for a road trip anyways, as the i3 was not designed with fast highway driving in mind.

johnnylingo said:
A 43 kWh battery pack will provide for ~175 miles range.
This rumored battery pack is based on Samsung SDI's 120 Ah battery cells which have twice the capacity of the original 60 Ah i3 battery pack. The E.P.A. range of the 60 Ah BEV is 81 miles, so the range of the heavier 120 Ah battery pack will almost certainly be less than 162 miles.

I was looking forward to maybe purchasing the new i3 Sport and now I'll have to wait for the higher KWh battery pack. At least I'll arrange a weekend test drive of the i3s in November and wait for another year.

Kiwi said:
I was looking forward to maybe purchasing the new i3 Sport and now I'll have to wait for the higher KWh battery pack. At least I'll arrange a weekend test drive of the i3s in November and wait for another year.
Depends on what your actual needs are. Just like in computers, especially in the beginning, wait 6-months, and the processors were faster, memory was cheaper, disk drives were bigger. At some point, you have to make a decision that this is good enough. In my case, given my limited needs for daily range, my 2014 i3 is fine, and I've been enjoying it for over 3-years, and expect that I can for many more. I don't really worry about resale value or the fact that newer ones have higher capacity batteries. The basic car, including the body, motor, etc. hasn't really changed but it now comes with a bigger 'fuel tank'. Unless the car is changed, I think the existing range is more than enough...longer trips available with a bigger battery wouldn't end to be as comfortable as in my other car, nor, can I carry as much, which can be beneficial on longer trips with more people and luggage. And, my other car has seen over 500-miles on a tank before I needed to stop while refilling was minutes verses hours. Even with an existing CCS charge, the bigger the battery, it's going to take awhile. Yes, eventually, the battery tech will allow rapid charges to batteries, but that infrastructure is a long ways away, as is even lots of CCS units everywhere.

jadnashuanh said:
Kiwi said:
Depends on what your actual needs are. Just like in computers, especially in the beginning, wait 6-months, and the processors were faster, memory was cheaper, disk drives were bigger. At some point, you have to make a decision that this is good enough. In my case, given my limited needs for daily range, my 2014 i3 is fine, and I've been enjoying it for over 3-years, and expect that I can for many more. I don't really worry about resale value or the fact that newer ones have higher capacity batteries. The basic car, including the body, motor, etc. hasn't really changed but it now comes with a bigger 'fuel tank'. Unless the car is changed, I think the existing range is more than enough...longer trips available with a bigger battery wouldn't end to be as comfortable as in my other car, nor, can I carry as much, which can be beneficial on longer trips with more people and luggage. And, my other car has seen over 500-miles on a tank before I needed to stop while refilling was minutes verses hours. Even with an existing CCS charge, the bigger the battery, it's going to take awhile. Yes, eventually, the battery tech will allow rapid charges to batteries, but that infrastructure is a long ways away, as is even lots of CCS units everywhere.

Its great you have enjoyed your i3 and still enjoying it.

I agree on the battery distance and charging. My observation over the i3 is hopefully fixed with the new i3s as the changes BMW has made is my thoughts on what needed an upgrade.
I have a BMW 2 series convertible for weekends and long trips and my BEV is used for wet days and work. I'm not one to be in either camp of only battery or petrol car I enjoy them both. The one thing I do enjoy is new technology and the i3 is up their if not better than the rest including Tesla.

I would be keenly interested in upgrading the battery in my 2014 i3 REX when this next battery becomes available. However, at the moment there is no such upgrade option in Canada (or North America?) being talked about. Anyone heard of such?

BMW has offered a battery upgrade option in some markets, but so far, not in the NA markets. It may be that they'd prefer you buy a new car, but I have no insider info on that.

The 2017 MY's larger battery pack (capacity) also weighs more, and that had them change the springs, and maybe some other items. When you start to get into it, it may not only be just a battery pack that needs to be swapped to make the car both safe and retain the handling and ride comfort.

My guess is that if you waited long enough, and needed a new battery, you'd have no choice but to either sell it or swap, and by then, there may not be a choice.

The group that determines the specs for the CCS standards is working towards a maximum of 350Kw/hr. The car companies in Europe just announced a coordinated effort to start to deploy CCS units capable of 150Kw with upgrades available as the needs arrive to handle the max on the spec. The US is lagging far behind. Some of that may start to change as they spend the money from the VW settlement, but our current administration may just try to siphon off some of that for other purposes...I'd watch them very closely on this! Since it doesn't burn fossil fuels, it has a low priority. Porsche has installed a prototype 350Kw unit at their headquarters, and their new car in development may be one of few that can use it to its full potential. The i3 is currently limited to 50Kw. Few in the US can use more, but that's likely to change in a few years. Doesn't mean there will be a place to plug it in and reach its full capacity. The governments in Europe (and China) are interested in switching to EVs...the current US administration seems that it could care less...see the proposed tax bill from the House of Representatives that eliminates the tax credit (the Senate's version keeps it).

markbb99 said:
Here's a link to an article about the 2019 I3
https://cleantechnica.com/2017/10/10/bmw-i3-get-43-2-kwh-battery-pack-late-2018-rumor/

Thanks, i have searched for this about bmw i3 information.

IF you're taking your i3 on a long trip where you are going to be relying mostly on refilling the REx's fuel tank, look at it this way...average is around 34mpg. There are a bunch of cars that can match that and make a better (IMHO) long-distance vehicle. Just got home from about a 450-mile (one-way) trip...didn't have to stop for fuel, got almost 30mpg, can carry 5-people, has a larger trunk/storage area, and better acceleration. I love my i3 for what it was designed for...running around town, but a bigger battery pack, at least with today's tech, just isn't that big of a deal. Once 350Kw CCS units come on line along with batteries that can accept a charge at that rate, it will be a different story. Now, you're lucky to find a 50Kw CCS unit, and then, worry about if it is unoccupied and works when you try to plug in. There's a reason why the i3 works as it does.

When BMW introduced the i3, it was called the city car. Perfect for short drives around town but not really meant for longer trips. I think (hope) BMW's and other manufacturers goal is to make an EV that will be suitable for long trips as well. But they aren't there yet, and as Jim points out, battery technology and the charging network are a big part of that. it seems what the manufacturers are doing is taking "small" steps to get there....gradually increasing battery capacity and (hopefully) building out the charging network. So it's a process instead of a "giant leap" forward.

I'm a slightly reluctant i3 owner, as most of my motoring trips are long distance (> 100 miles)

However, my 2016 i3 REX is proving up to the task on battery power alone, given some forethought in choosing coffee/meal stops with charging stations nearby.

The car's intrinsic quality and features make this extra planning effort well worthwhile!

Chris

They need to focus on getting larger batteries FAST. BMW's claims they got a lot of new customer's that never owned a BMW. Also means these customer's (EV drivers) will switch to another brand (as easy) if that offers a better range (different kind of buyer).

I came from a daily driver: lexus sc 430 and selected the i3 for it's RANGE for commuting.
Next car: RANGE..... so I can sell one of the other petrol cars I still own for long trips ! (yes stupid)......(maybe a tesla...... not hooked on a brand).
If we get the i3 in 40kw......will be be on the list, but still not 400km or more realistic range (others will in 2018).
Love the car, but will just switch if they do not have what I want/need........and I do own 2 BMW m-cars as well so I love the brand.

My grilfriend same: outlander PHEV, E-range ok for commuting, here next car..... she wants the look at the Hyundai Kona ! (yep RANGE)
My Co-workers: from Outlander PHEV to Golf-E ... and Ampera (hybrid) to probaly the new Hyundai Kona: just range. Not the Apera-E..... takes too long, does not want to wait !
Friends: BMW, Volvo's etc ...... Renault ! One went for a Tesla.....

Looks like most EV drivers do not care much about a brand (until all brands have decent ranges), they just switch. Tesla is different, I get that... not much better to find (range) and has build an EV-brand that people love.
Proof (for me): new tesla 3..... if it would have been another brands car: range ok, but ugly (I get the first toyota prius feeling!), they love it.... waiting list for a year, they wait, pay upfront, buy unseen.....half a million in backorder !....he build an EV-brand and keeps his customers.......how, lots of things but RANGE is high up that list.

prettig said:
They need to focus on getting larger batteries FAST. BMW's claims they got a lot of new customer's that never owned a BMW. Also means these customer's (EV drivers) will switch to another brand (as easy) if that offers a better range (different kind of buyer).
Of course, that's not true for all EV drivers. I had never wanted to own a BMW until I bought, not leased an i3 BEV. German labor costs are so high that German cars tend to be more expensive than Asian cars whose quality and reliability can be higher.

Our first EV was a Mitsubishi iMiEV which was our ideal size (small exterior) and type (5-door hatchback), but its range proved insufficient after we relocated when we retired. The i3 BEV's range was ~20 miles more than the iMiEV which was sufficient. There was literally no other EV sold in Honolulu in 2014 that satisfied our needs as well as the i3.

The i3's other plusses relative to the iMiEV are its much superior suspension and its almost totally rust-free construction materials. I doubt that another aluminum/CFRP/thermoplastic compact hatchback BEV will be built anytime soon, so an eventual battery pack replacement would allow us to keep our rather unique i3. This would happen only if our i3 proves to be reliable and inexpensive to maintain which aren't qualities that I typically association with BMW but do associate with Honda and Toyota, in particular.

off course not all EV drivers (just a lot I guess)...... and fully agree the BMW i3:
A brilliant concept (already called the model-T of our time) .......but they ony build the i3 (i8 is in another class).....should have done more with it and use it in other models.

The moment you relocate again and needed more range.......would you look at another EV or upgrade the battery for 10K (cost in Europe)?

Back