USB Drive Compatibility?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jadnashuanh

I've updated the maps in my i3 once before, and decided it was time, since it has been two years, to do it again. The files have grown, and now exceed the capacity of a 32G USB drive, so I bought a couple of 64G Lexar Jumpdrives at Costco, for a good price. Ensuring they were formatted properly (FAT32) for the car, and reformatted to clean them off, I transferred the files required, and (I tried both of them) after inserting them into the car...nothing! I had used a SanDisk drive to reprogram my GT, and it worked fine. So, I gave up, and bought a new 64G Sandisk drive, copied the files to it, and voila...it was recognized, and I successfully completed the map update process this evening.

Anyone have any idea why the Lexar drives wouldn't work? I did look to see if they had a hidden partition, but with the software I have, nothing showed up...the drives were clean when I tried copying the required files to them and reported being formatted with FAT32, the required method. I had thought there might be an issue with my USB port, but when I plugged in my phone, I could play music from it, which is what triggered me to give up and buy the new USB memory stick drive.

FWIW, I bought a 'lifetime' FSC key, and will see how that goes. The key cost me about the same as the one-time key I used the last time. So, depending on how long I keep these cars, it could save a considerable amount of money considering there are typically two updates a year!

Back