Bawareca

Re: BMW i3 side mirror repair costs

Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:29 pm

Go to newtis dot info, choose the i3 and then after some research you will find all documents and diagrams that are available to a BMW dealer.

vespaman

Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:51 am

So I got the part that I broke on my mirror some 10 days ago. It did not cost much (about 30€, got some 20% off for some reason) at my BMW shop.

The mirror can be totally dismantled on the door, so no need to take it off, just be careful.

1. Move the mirror up as much as possible, and remove the glass. I used some plastic bike tyre removal tools.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VjoKY ... bd1cN35h_R

2. Undo the wiring. Press the little locker on the white connector to release it.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1C-tE2 ... kf-S_KChZs

3. Compress the three front cover hooks, and pull the cover up/forward.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xjf7D ... VFoWlvOHb6

4. Using a T10, remove the three metal screws, and the two black screws, and one metal screw on front.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KfTkz ... 1NWsoX2bIf

5. Gently remove the bottom part, separate it from the indicator assembly.
6. By rotating the "holder" it can be forced over the mirror base. Be firm but gentle - take care not to damage the leads.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-caHQ ... xvEZaJjBUe

Since my driveway+garage door is very narrow, I'm sure to be doing this some time again if I'm not careful...

alohart

Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:04 pm

vespaman wrote:The mirror can be totally dismantled on the door, so no need to take it off, just be careful.

Thanks for posting these instructions with photos.

vespaman wrote:Since my driveway+garage door is very narrow, I'm sure to be doing this some time again if I'm not careful...

The entrance to our i3 parking garage parking space is constrained by 2 concrete columns, so I always fold the exterior mirrors before parking and don't unfold them until I have backed out of our parking space. So far, so good :D

Our Uppsala garage was very narrow, so I always folded the exterior mirrors on our 2000 Honda Insight when entering the garage and didn't unfold them until I had backed out of our garage. Before I started folding the mirrors, I dragged the passenger mirror along the garage wall which fortunately only removed a little paint but caused no other damage. Unlike our i3's exterior mirrors, I had to manually fold our Insight's mirrors. So if you are not folding your mirrors before entering your garage, you might try it.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

whizzbread

Truck Lock

Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:14 pm

Hi everyone. I am new here

I got brand new i3 few weeks ago.. I get fed up when I come out of car and truck lock auto as I want unlock truck. how?

alohart

Re: Truck Lock

Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:57 pm

whizzbread wrote:Hi everyone. I am new here

Please don't hijack this thread with your totally different topic. Start your own new thread please.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

vespaman

Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:45 pm

alohart wrote:if you are not folding your mirrors before entering your garage, you might try it.

Good point! I have only folded them when I knew I was in trouble (too late :D ). Will try the parking trip without them on a sunny day. It will, however be quite hard backing in without them,. But it is worth a try.

alohart

Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:16 pm

vespaman wrote:I have only folded them when I knew I was in trouble (too late :D ). Will try the parking trip without them on a sunny day. It will, however be quite hard backing in without them,. But it is worth a try.

I parked by driving in forward which would be easier with folded side mirrors. Backing out of our garage was more difficult, but I monitored how close the car was to the garage walls through the side windows. The narrowest point was at the garage door, so I had to be especially careful there. Sweden needs to build wider garages :D Don't know how a neighbor with a Volvo V60 estate managed to park.

If you have the backup camera option, it might make backing into your garage a bit easier. Good luck!
Aloha,
Art

Return to “News and Main BMW i3 Forum Discussions”