Traffic jam assist retro

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kiomon said:
I just got the latest email update. Anyone else a little bummed that he is adding a buzzer and mandatory steering wheel interaction? I personally don’t like that. Without the touch sensor feels like it could be awkward, and annoying.
I was going to buy one. But I'm out now. Don't want buzzer nor steering wheel interaction.

IF HE'S READING THIS: for those, like myself that don't want the nannies, require us to sign a liability waiver. Simple

He should take a strategy that the wine industry did during prohibition. They sold grape juice with a warning that said do not let the bottle sit in a cool dark place for more than 2 weeks else it’ll start fermenting and become alchohol.

He could provide a jumper or switch that will put it in diagnostic mode and provide a warning. Do not operate in diagnostic mode as that will disable the safety features built in.

That should absolve him of any liability as it becomes end users actions and not his design.

jhu321 said:
He should take a strategy that the wine industry did during prohibition. They sold grape juice with a warning that said do not let the bottle sit in a cool dark place for more than 2 weeks else it’ll start fermenting and become alchohol.

He could provide a jumper or switch that will put it in diagnostic mode and provide a warning. Do not operate in diagnostic mode as that will disable the safety features built in.

That should absolve him of any liability as it becomes end users actions and not his design.
The nannies (buzzer & steering wheel interaction) is retarded. Why make this more complicated?

I like your idea as well. Or put on a sticker on the module that says "failure to interact with the steering wheel every 5 seconds voids warranty and we will not be held liable, insert legal jargon here, etc...

Or just let people like me sign a waiver that says we don't want the nanny. If we get in an accident it's not your fault, we'll never sue.

i get liability protection, but it still isn't going to really stop someone from suing if they want to sue. Signing a waiver is a better approach. Tell us is developmental hardware and not for use on the roadway, and could cause death in use. :) Done,

Kiomon said:
i get liability protection, but it still isn't going to really stop someone from suing if they want to sue. Signing a waiver is a better approach. Tell us is developmental hardware and not for use on the roadway, and could cause death in use. :) Done,
Exactly, I wholeheartedly agree.

grinny11 said:
Disappointed too
His latest email states it's a must by USA law. So that sucks. Hopefully one of us can take apart his module and figure out how to turn the nannies off then put the module back together. Obviously voiding the warranty on the module.

Driver attentiveness is a legal requirement, and it makes sense. Otherwise you've got a really limited self-driving car that might end up cruising down the road with a sleeping (or dead) driver at the wheel.

Nobody wants to the Flying Dutchman sharing the road with them. Not with the level of intelligence of the Traffic Jam Assist.

All other factory driver assist systems require some sort of an attention check. Generally, you must keep your hands on the wheel.

This 3rd party system cannot literally detect when our hands are on the wheel, thus we need to periodically press a steering wheel button.

Why should we expect to get more out of this 3rd party product than what the OEM manufacturers are able to legally supply?

We should just be happy that we are getting this much needed functionality.

I wouldn’t sell this as a complete solution. Just sell it as a touch module emulator - for testing purposes only. Obviously there’s a lot of coding done, and BMW/Mobileye have their algorithms in place.

Speaking of VO coding Kombi, BDC_body and KaFas2, does anyone else get a straight ACC error, instead of a TJA error without a module attached?

I’ve VO coded BDC_body and verified VO readback that LIN_VARIANTE_MFL is set to ACC_SPORTS_STA but my increase follow distance button is still increase follow distance while driving instead of TJA error activation. I get the ACC error when starting the car.

Ahh.. I needed to VO code SAS, now I get the TJA error and my steering wheel button functions changed. I’m getting close!!

Hello everyone,

I just received my module today... With no instructions included in the box.

Does anyone have an accurate and easy to follow list for installing the module itself, and the coding required?

Thanks in advance.

Nevermind here you go

https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/Comfort-Drive%20Installation.pdf?token=AWyHHq9wFs0qG23Q2yWt0Jq3vkGX3JPCZip0uLX6UBpxWEJRX1yyR95iiAMopt2_HxfH29gswyH0NJqoWGE5_WeiVpOCKfEjBfgTkPr7xxy94D1LrzeZFXubVI4rNxr8UTTz4nYup69SS_76bCCT5z51FIzqmcV5juEIRlbsWfHztiEsfPc4WmRyoLYItpqtUF1EVSMhFdj5ClXFDwF6VBoj

And

https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/Comfort-Drive%20Installation.pdf?token=AWwQcToAPiuFNhYDgjxlVfO1rXCZ8vxmtF4MlYHGk_3G9B14NB7sbHkgDuqpcybdhaT8bjw3r5-TGaCIovoQ-zZ0TXy5PNrf8nUD1nIJbxtM3gNeIYE4Jh_Uf_OoT_xZRD9SRQc_v5Em_9JI2DSl9ydmNnYCCaGU7ZY7MvcxcHdDoSdtRbEjbaBSvL5d1P9PCEOsGBWFkNT2ruER7C0sZ89w

No, not a member. Don't use Facebook, believe it or not.

Currently have no way to install the module, which is somewhat annoying...

This install sounds painful. I'm working on a simpler install method - I've gotten to the point where no errors, but I get "Traffic Jam Assistant cannot be activated", at least in my garage. I thought I removed the expressway restrictions, but now the weekend and kids will keep me busy.

Back