Replacement case for key

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kstinmb

Is it possible to swap the electonics of a key to a different case? One of my keys looks like it was run over and a new case would be nice.
Also, the hole in the emergency key is torn off. Is the emergency key mechanical only, no chip under the plastic? Can I purchase just the key blank & have a new one cut?

Thanks,

sevzop.jpg

2yllr2c.jpg

I'm pretty sure that this key is purely mechanical because it will lock and unlock the driver's door of an i3 whose 12 V battery is disconnected (i.e., no power to the electronics that would be required to read a chip).

BMW sells a translucent fob cover that would hide most of the damage on your fob. You could probably reconstruct the damaged hole with epoxy, plastic resin, etc., although It likely wouldn't be very attractive.

I have partially disassembled one of my fobs in hopes of preventing damage after I swam with it in my swimming suit pocket. The fob must be sealed well because it was dry inside. However, I did not attempt to disassemble it farther than removing the mechanical key and opening the battery compartment, and I don't remember whether it looked like further disassembly would be possible.

Back