Criminal Range

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rondark

What would you think if you saw this range?

Trip: 56.8 km
GOM: 8 km left

2014 BEV

I have pictures of instrument screen.

The range depends on several things:

* Choice of mode: Comfort, Eco Pro or Eco Pro Plus
* Driving style
* Environment temperatures during drive - Very Cold/Very Hot or average temps
* Use of heating/cooling
* Loaded car full of luggage or passengers or single driver no load
* Flat terrain or undulating terrain
* Windows open or closed
* Age and distance travelled since the BEV was run since 2014
* etc...

So yes, it is possible to have low range or high range for a 2014 i3 BEV

Not criminal range. If you require more range without changing driving style and use of other options then update to the newer i3 with a larger battery.

Range very much depends on the weather, terrain, and how you drive it in much the same manner as on any vehicle. The test procedure sets some fairly specific conditions, and if you replicated those, I'm pretty sure that you'd closely match their numbers. One of the bigger hits to range is cold weather where you do not set a departure time and precondition while on line voltage. Unlike an ICE, the only way you get heat in an EV is by drawing watts from the battery. Add in the fact that batteries cannot supply as much of their stored energy when cold verses warm, and that's the biggest draw down on the range.

It sounds like the OP does not understand EV's, or realize that like on ANY vehicle, the miles you can get out of it very much depends on the conditions under how it is used which includes the operator's actions.

rondark said:
What would you think if you saw this range?

Trip: 56.8 km
GOM: 8 km left
Did the trip start with a fully-charged battery pack?

What was the battery pack's charge level when the GOM estimated 8 km of remaining range?

What was the ambient temperature?

Back