i3 Recall

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ortho888

i3 recall- Any news on when they will start selling and leasing the i3 again since there is a freeze because of the recall(s)? Airbags and Rex wiring...

For new and/or at the dealer, I heard, maybe in the next week(s). For existing owners, notices go out in January. It appears that the safety thing is being addressed with a software tweak to adjust how fast and when the airbag inflates, so it's not a separate hardware change, so it should be easier to implement. There's a similar one already in place in case there's a child seat on the passenger's side, so, it appears the ability to do this may work on the driver's side as well.

No idea on anything regarding the REx. Hadn't heard there was a hold on that or what the issue is.

Thanks for the update!
Actually, I heard that there was a REx recall but looking at the i3 recall list there is this one: (17V088000) and it has to do with: the fuel tank vent line may rub against the ribbed wire protection sleeve of the battery positive (b+) cable, creating a hole in the vent line and causing a fuel vapor leak.

That gasoline vent rub recall is old and long-since resolved. What was intereesting about it was that it was a US-based 'grass-roots rub'--literally discoverd by US techs. Mine was fixed in August.

It's the frontal-impact recall that is holding up the works at BMW dealerships. I know: a Porsche dealer refused to even consider my car for trade after talking to his group's sister-BMW dealership.

I just ordered an I3s last week and they are saying February production is first run. I had heard they were going to build in November but maybe it’s delay due to recall? I’m in Toronto.

Any thoughts? Think bullshit excuse or legit production halt fir Canada as well as US?

I haven't heard of a sales stop in Canada. Do you have a nation wide seat belt law? If so, probably no sales stop. We don't have such a federal law in the US. Each state has their own laws and only one state does not have the mandatory seat belt law. Otherwise I don't think there would be a sales stop in the US.

Yeah definitely in Canada we discovered not wearing seat belts is bad for your health. It’s interesting to see the power of each state in the US in that way, I heard some states you don’t have to wear a helmet on a motorcycle too lolz

So I guess February first production makes sense? Just seems late into 2018 for a 2018 car to begin

t2macmil said:
So I guess February first production makes sense? Just seems late into 2018 for a 2018 car to begin
I think the i3s was targeted for a mid year release. Maybe a little sooner in the US but your dealer would sell you one if he could get one, so my guess is that he's correct.

theothertom said:
I think the i3s was targeted for a mid year release. Maybe a little sooner in the US but your dealer would sell you one if he could get one, so my guess is that he's correct.
The first i3s has arrived in the U.S. and is waiting for the stop sale to end to be delivered to its owner. This timing is similar to past years in the U.S., at least.

So the recall is off. I'm assuming the fix is a software issue where the car is more aggressive about buckling up. Not allowing the car to drive if he occupants aren't buckled. Does anyone know?

goingtoarizona said:
So the recall is off. I'm assuming the fix is a software issue where the car is more aggressive about buckling up. Not allowing the car to drive if he occupants aren't buckled. Does anyone know?
Apparently the fix is to change the timing of the driver's airbag firing in software so that the airbag would better protect the 5th percentile female driver who is not wearing a seatbelt.

I had my i3 service today for the airbag recall. They had to reprogram my i3 to fix the issue. They said it could take up to 5 hours to reprogram the car. They gave me a loaner car for the day. I called the service department tonight and they said the reprograming crashed and they would have to restart the reprogramming to run overnight.

Has anyone else had their i3 reprogram for the airbag recall?

Not yet...

It's my understanding that instead of updating a single module when reprogramming, they tend to reflash the entire vehicle's memory, and if there's a glitch, they often have to start over. The software is custom assembled for your VIN by BMW in Germany, and if there's a glitch in the internet connection while reprogramming, it can mess things up. So, if all's perfect, it doesn't necessarily take all that long, but it can be problematic on occasion. Also, on occasion, a module doesn't like something, and it creates a situation where a module needs to be replaced before they can start over.

I did mine last week. The car was actually in for the rear coil spring recall but they also did the airbag recall fix. They messed up my coding which was expected, but now the Bimmercode app will not recognize the airbag module, so I cannot code anything in that one. Developer said he will fix it when he gets the updated module firmware. Car was in for 2 days for both recalls.

ad78 said:
there's another news that i3 18 may be the last one..

There may be some truth to this as I heard the i3 and i8 are only experimental cars. BMW is looking to electrify all of their "regular" cars down the road with the i cars being used to dip their toes in the water first.

alohart said:
Do you have a link/reference?

http://www.motortrend.com/news/current-bmw-i3-i8-may-last/

https://www.thetorquereport.com/bmw/bmw-i3-and-i8-arent-in-the-works/

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/bmw-i3-and-i8-might-not-be-replaced

http://www.bmwblog.com/2018/01/16/bmw-still-pondering-whether-new-i3-i8-models-feasible/

https://insideevs.com/bmw-i3-i8-might-die-a-slow-death/

From the articles, the i3 and i8 may end, but the "I" division will be kept around to showcase future technologies that will eventually trickle down to the rest of the line - possibility the i-Vision will be released under this division in 2021...ideal timing if ending the i3 and i8 since they'll be right at the end of the 7-8 year lifecycle....

When they electrify the X1, it would be an almost direct overlap of the i3 in terms of size and perhaps performance....as for the i8, the next generation really ought to be fully electrified...if that is the case, may as well review the future trends/wants/demands from the consumer and make a new car that addresses those?

Back