DIY: Highbeam Headlamp Replacement / Upgrade

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Higher wattage bulbs in an EV risks a few things. Might mean nothing, but extra heat and a closed system isn't a good thing. Plus, even though minor, additional wattage doesn't help things.

The more important thing is the light pattern provided by the bulb. An incandescent tends to make a pretty even output, and LED does not. That can seriously affect its ability to produce the light pattern required to improve range.

Does anyone know how to turn the turn signal lights into running lights/turn signal lights? I was thinking the link below might work but was afraid I'd get the undesired fast blinker?

https://www.customled.com/products/blinker-genie

Has anyone found an LED high beam replacement that actually was DOT approved? Technically, any exterior lamp and housing (with a few exceptions) must meet DOT rules if used on-road in the USA. There are some fairly specific beam pattern and brightness requirements. The beam pattern is hard to emulate with individual points of light via LEDs verses an incandescent that glows 360-degrees. It can be done with custom designed lenses and reflectors, but just swapping the bulb won't get you there.

Although not ECE approved (yet) Philips are producing their Ultinon LED bulbs which I believed would be DoT approved (not sure on the progress as yet) but I have not seen ANY other LED bulbs which are approved.

Be aware though I tried a pair of the Philips bulbs and they pulled up a bulb fault on the CanBus system so swapped them for a pair of other LED bulbs which did not pop a fault.

As an aside with the main beam conversion (I have the factory Dip beam LED headlamps) I found the beam needed to be aimed upwards at least 1.5 to 2 full turns of the adjuster nut/screw to give the reach expected, if left as factory the high/main beam aim was woefully low, which is logical really as the standard halogen bulbs are so useless they would not even be seen illuminating the road so far ahead.

Gif said:
Fitted my replacement LED main beams today.

Short to medium distance visibility has improved no end with a lot more light on the road and sideways but I can't see anything more in the distance than before.

Anyone believe that they have a decent bulb or configuration for longer distance?

As I said in the previous post the main beam needs adjusting upwards quite a lot, when I first fitted the LED replacement bulbs I was quite disappointed as there was a huge improvement in light output but not in reach, upon analysing the beam pattern it was all pooled on the road in front of the car, the adjustment upwards makes a massive difference to the effectiveness of the light output, it needs a bit of trial and error on unlit roads to get it perfect, but well worth the effort.

Boxbrownie said:
Gif said:
As I said in the previous post the main beam needs adjusting upwards quite a lot, when I first fitted the LED replacement bulbs I was quite disappointed as there was a huge improvement in light output but not in reach, upon analysing the beam pattern it was all pooled on the road in front of the car, the adjustment upwards makes a massive difference to the effectiveness of the light output, it needs a bit of trial and error on unlit roads to get it perfect, but well worth the effort.
This is probably one reason why few, if any, of the LED replacements are DOT approved in the USA. The others are evenness of the beam pattern and potential glare. Unless you emulate the same beam pattern (hard with those point sources that are directional), it's really tough to get a reflector and lens to work optimally with both an LED and an incandescent, regardless of the type.

I'm not defending the DOT, as they seem way behind approval of some of the enhancements showing up elsewhere...one in particular, the dynamic capabilities of laser headlights. Better, precision light and less power use than either LED and incandescents (including HID). IT took them ages to approve halogens, then, later on, HID. The restrictions they have on laser sources are considerable. BMW's rely on the lasers illuminating fluorescent materials, but they are managed by the FDA, who deals with lasers. DOT requires a low/high beam switch, which modern dynamic lasers do not need or want for best effect.

Anyway, hopefully those that do change to LEDs don't run into sticklers when it comes to enforcement, either during an inspection, or a road stop. Not sure it's worth the effort.

Oh....it is definitely worth the effort, as are any decent headlamps that are adjusted correctly.

Obviously the main beam/high beam (not dipped, as I know there's something lost in translation between the nomenclature with the Atlantic between) is only used with no oncoming traffic so dazzle is not an issue as it can/will be with dipped conversions.

My personal experience between the standard BMW halogen high beams and a good LED replacement light source adjusted correctly is quite literally "night and day" if you'll forgive the pun.

Hello.

If you are from California, I found this set for less than $25 from Ebay - shipped. They are white in color, and tested to work on your BMW i3 highbeams. The product comes with 5 year warranty, has a fan, plug-n-play, lower voltage consumption, and 50k lifespan. I installed them on mine, and the difference from Halogen is significant. The reach is not much, but the brightness and clearliness of the road definitely improved in my experience. I absolutely recommend upgrading your high beams. BMW already did for the new 2018 models. Good luck.

Let's keep each other posted for more Mods like this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/IRONWALLS-...rentrq:9d2fe0d61620a86bde2edac5fffc6f9e|iid:1

keithijb said:
If you are from California, I found this set for less than $25 from Ebay - shipped.
Why only California?

keithijb said:
BMW already did for the new 2018 models.
Not really comparable. The LED high beams in 2018 i3's use reflectors and lenses designed for the more diffuse LED light source unlike installing 3rd-party LED bulbs in pre-2018 i3 high beam housings with reflectors and lenses designed for the more point source halogen bulbs.

In which i3 did you install these bulbs?

alohart said:
keithijb said:
If you are from California, I found this set for less than $25 from Ebay - shipped.
Why only California?

keithijb said:
BMW already did for the new 2018 models.
Not really comparable. The LED high beams in 2018 i3's use reflectors and lenses designed for the more diffuse LED light source unlike installing 3rd-party LED bulbs in pre-2018 i3 high beam housings with reflectors and lenses designed for the more point source halogen bulbs.

In which i3 did you install these bulbs?

Because the listing is from California. Delivered in 1-2 days.
...To avoid taxes? Etc.

What? Why are you comparing a re-design of 2018 to an older year aftermarket part? I installed this to a 2015 i3.
This is a suggestion to people to upgrade their OLD HALOGEN to LED, because it makes a positive difference to visibility and clearliness. If people want to spend more than a $500 bucks, then go for it. Install new high beam housings with reflectors and lenses. Or if you are on a budget, need a quicker fix, then I recommend the LED high beam mod, or an LED bar installed.

Anyway, I'm happy with my highbeam for less than $25.

Signal lights (white)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QN1WAPS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

HighBeam
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PPFVNFV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I installed these ones: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NPMV1H5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They recommend the lights be aimed at 9:00 and 3:00. I find that the beam is bright, but aimed way too low, with the bulk of the light hitting the ground about 75 ft away.

Would the lights in the previous post solve that issue?

Responding to SuperPoly: I installed the same Fahren bulbs as you for the high beams. They have performed well and have increased the reach of the beam.

I did have to adjust the beam so that they did not puddle out in front of the car. You might consider having the dealership adjust the beam upward for you to get more reach in the beam projection. I adjusted my own but they are by no means level as much as I would like. The main thing that I am now enjoying is that I have high beam headlights that are very worthwhile after the exchange from the OEM bulbs.

Back