nitramluap

Re: AC Charger Inlet Types - swappable?

Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:47 am

alohart wrote:Those U.S. i3 owners who have had to replace their charging ports due to damage have been shocked by the cost of plastic.

Well, it's going to cost around $300 so hardly an issue... and quite possibly free for owners still in warranty (which is three years - is would cover almost all i3s in Australia).

And again, if you don't need DC fast charging and you only charge with your own AC EVSE at home, you can leave it as is.

I'll change the plug on my home EVSE to a Type 2 plug. Costs $50.

I33t

Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:34 am

I33t wrote:Basically, any electric vehicle from the past, present and future can charge on this highway.

Is that a fact? From what I can see, no European EV with a Type 2 plug will be able to DC fast charge in the very near future as the standard is changing... and so will the charge ports on the car.

The WA electric highway already exists, and it operates for current and existing EV's in that region.

Absolutely, if the connections change, then so will the evse connections.

The Queensland system already does not support all current EVs, even the one you already have. The WA system supports the current EV's actually on the road. It has three high rate connectors plus the lower speed charging system for the existing market.
2014 BMW i3 BEV deposit placed 19th Dec 2013
Delivered in Melbourne 4/12/2014. Arrived locally 11/12/14, with 24km on the clock.

I33t

Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:31 am

nitramluap wrote:I never thought EV owners would be so parochial. Ironic.

I'm not parochial, and not talking about our current location but viewing the current options around Australia.

WA electric highway is already in operation embraces all EV owners, but the upcoming Qld highway is expected yet to be commenced in 6 months and not support all current EV's. Now that's ironic.

Good luck for your type 2 upgrade, hope it all works out for you.
2014 BMW i3 BEV deposit placed 19th Dec 2013
Delivered in Melbourne 4/12/2014. Arrived locally 11/12/14, with 24km on the clock.

nitramluap

Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:53 pm

I33t wrote:
nitramluap wrote:I never thought EV owners would be so parochial. Ironic.

I'm not parochial, and not talking about our current location but viewing the current options around Australia.

WA electric highway is already in operation embraces all EV owners, but the upcoming Qld highway is expected yet to be commenced in 6 months and not support all current EV's. Now that's ironic.

Good luck for your type 2 upgrade, hope it all works out for you.

Given that there really are hardly any EVs in this country, and few owned by 'normal people', the changeover going to have a very small impact. They're doing it in New Zealand and nobody is crying.

Far more important will be the infrastructure in place for people buying new vehicles when they only come with Type 2 based charging ports - my guess is that this will be from MY2018 or thereabouts. Just watch how quickly the Type 1 based charge plugs disappear from charge stations.

And again, anything less than DC 50kW - the absolute minimum required for the average punter to be even vaguely interested in an EV - is a waste of time for a 'Superhighway' charging network. Leave the low power EVSE stuff to shops, businesses and hotels where you want to spend more than 20 minutes.

Looking forward to the small crowd of whingers. I expect it won't even make the news. New owners will be wondering what all the fuss was about. I'll get my popcorn. Over and out.

coho

Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:16 pm

Long time lurker here, I'll throw my 2 cents in. I believe BMW would be pushing this change to happen as well. If you look at how many Tesla destination chargers are out there that will become accessible to vehicles with type 2 charging. At the moment Tesla have a great competitive edge on all other EV's in Australia due to their charge network. Type 2 charging is what any other EV auto maker here in Oz would want to negate the Tesla destination charger advantage.

ReZe

Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:40 pm

I was wondering if anyone ever had their inlet swapped? is it just Plug and Play?

I am trying to import a BMW i3 from USA to Europe (Denmark) and have tried to get an answer from a Danish BMW dealer. They don't seem to know for sure. They just say its not possible and the software is also different from US to EU version, so a lot of trouble would probably come at the future service centre...

I just don't really buy that conclusion. Why would BMW make a plug thats not replaceable. Its the same protocol for CCS Combo 1 and CCS Combo 2..

Return to “Technical BMW i3 Discussions”