Traffic jam assist retro

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
czarmar said:
This install sounds painful. I'm working on a simpler install method - I've gotten to the point where no errors, but I get "Traffic Jam Assistant cannot be activated", at least in my garage. I thought I removed the expressway restrictions, but now the weekend and kids will keep me busy.

So did you install the hardware yet? What part sounds painful?

I was able to install the hardware using the 'behind the fuse box' method in around 20 minutes. It wasn't too hard, but I think the instructions & pictures maybe could be a bit clearer.

No I haven't - It's just a really awkward spot way under there trying to get to the wiring.

czarmar said:
This install sounds painful. I'm working on a simpler install method - I've gotten to the point where no errors, but I get "Traffic Jam Assistant cannot be activated", at least in my garage. I thought I removed the expressway restrictions, but now the weekend and kids will keep me busy.

Good day, I've been following this thread for a while. I received my module and saw that you are working on an simpler install method. Is it for this device? I want to install it before driving to the in-laws for Thanksgiving. I need something to reduce my stress on that day :D

Personally, I think installing the module from behind the fuse panel was not very difficult. Especially in a garage, it's not too hard or time consuming.

Maybe the most complicated part is just the coding of the car. Even that's not really hard, especially if you've done other coding before.

Today was the first time I tested the system in actual traffic, and it worked perfectly. The car did not exhibit any strange effects as a result of the module being installed.

If you recall, the module is supposed to beep or make some noise periodically (to remind you to press a steering wheel button), but I never heard a sound out of it. I'll listen again tomorrow.

I got my TJA working tonight (Woot!!) I gave up trying to just VO code individual modules and did a one shot. I’ll have to check which one wasn’t included.

I can tell TJA isn’t as advanced as my Acura’s LKAS, and a far cry from Tesla AP and struggles past 40 mph, but certainly useful for its intended purpose.

This was using my own HOD emulator module installed easily in the steering wheel in a couple minutes. Certainly the coding is the more intensive thing, esp. for those who dont code.

czarmar said:
I got my TJA working tonight (Woot!!) I gave up trying to just VO code individual modules and did a one shot. I’ll have to check which one wasn’t included.

I can tell TJA isn’t as advanced as my Acura’s LKAS, and a far cry from Tesla AP and struggles past 40 mph, but certainly useful for its intended purpose.

This was using my own HOD emulator module installed easily in the steering wheel in a couple minutes. Certainly the coding is the more intensive thing, esp. for those who dont code.

Congrats man!! The TJA is my first experience with any sort of self driving so I'm not sure how it stacks up against other manufacturers. I wonder, does the Acura's version use radar as well as a camera?

The steering wheel is definitely an easier to work with installation location. I've just been hesitant to mention it because of the fact that you have to go through the airbag. The worry is that someone might not reconnect it, or it might get tampered with in some way. Then in an accident if it were to malfunction... that would not be a good day.

Acura uses radar and camera(s). I'd say the Acura senses other cars out to about 200 yards vs. 100 yards for i3 KAFAS. While Acura doesn't do stereo forward facing cameras, they might augment the lane placement with information from the blind spot cameras to make closed loop corrections.

I'm not going through/didn't remove the airbag :) I'll get some pics, videos up, etc. soon.

czarmar said:
I'm not going through/didn't remove the airbag :) I'll get some pics, videos up, etc. soon.

You’ve really caught my curiosity. Looking forward to seeing what you came up with!

czarmar said:
Acura uses radar and camera(s). I'd say the Acura senses other cars out to about 200 yards vs. 100 yards for i3 KAFAS. While Acura doesn't do stereo forward facing cameras, they might augment the lane placement with information from the blind spot cameras to make closed loop corrections.

I second that! Lol

I wonder if you just removed the switch cluster to tap the wire from there? I'm interested to see if you were able to do it without splicing any of the wires? in any case, nice!

So there's a tiny bit of room behind the steering wheel buttons for an in line module. I already had a small microcontroller module designed for another product, and spent my spare time the last 3-4 weeks programming the LIN interface after ordering a touch controller module from Germany.
IMG_0295.jpg

Simple one screw install:
IMG_0284-1.jpg

Pop out the buttons, and there's a 3 pin connector there that I connect to inline.
IMG_0286-2.jpg

IMG_0287.jpg

TJA goodness; I left out the nag..
IMG_0292.jpg

Wow. The Quidzel module looks like it is a super-simple install.

I've not seen it referenced anywhere before. Needs more publicity.

The Quidzel hands on detection emulator is brand new, but the simplicity of install/uninstall and no nag is probably the two key differentiators. Both modules do relatively the same thing.

Has anyone heard from shehadehd? I placed an ordered 1 month ago but he stopped responding to all emails more than 2 weeks ago?!

I never had a problem reaching him. I thought he was amazingly helpful, to be honest.

He didn’t strike me as someone trying to rip anyone off. Hopefully there is a good explanation.

RGloverii said:
I never had a problem reaching him. I thought he was amazingly helpful, to be honest.

He didn’t strike me as someone trying to rip anyone off. Hopefully there is a good explanation.

He usually responded to all my emails within 24 hours, but it seemed like he dropped off the face of the Earth a couple of weeks ago. Very weird. If I don't hear from him soon though, I am reluctantly going to report the charge to my credit card company.

czarmar said:
Did you try to reach him on the Facebook group?

That did the trick, thank you! I rarely go on FB, but he responded right away and was have issues with his email since the new year.

Glad to hear you were able to get in contact with him, and that nothing ‘funny’ is going on!

You’ll love the new functionality the module provides. Works perfectly in my opinion.

Back