Charging Light

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thankfully the flashing beacon goes out after a short while - particularly useful if you are charging in public.

Yeah, I'd rather it went straight to blue rather than orange though - and at least the connector is locked - no chance of it being unplugged.

I wish it would stay on all the time. I share a charger at work and others would like to know when I'm done.

SamWhitei3 said:
I wish it would stay on all the time. I share a charger at work and others would like to know when I'm done.

The charging light stays on if you don't lock the car. I didn't see any way to configure that behavior in iDrive settings, but maybe someone else knows if you can change the code to keep the light on even if you lock the car.

roofless said:
SamWhitei3 said:

The charging light stays on if you don't lock the car. I didn't see any way to configure that behavior in iDrive settings, but maybe someone else knows if you can change the code to keep the light on even if you lock the car.

It's probably possible to code it, but I haven't heard of anyone finding the relevant settings for this yet.

In NA there should be an option to enable the charge port to self-unlock when charging complete, flash green, so that when public charging someone can use the plug if needed. Or offer an unlock charge port option on the I remote.

imyrans said:
In NA there should be an option to enable the charge port to self-unlock when charging complete, flash green, so that when public charging someone can use the plug if needed. Or offer an unlock charge port option on the I remote.
i3's built after March 2015 can, and will, if you get the firmware update, be able to unlock the cord once fully recharged. Apparently, it is not possible on older builds. It appears that it takes not only software, but hardware changes as well.

Back