Updated maps to 2018-1, no FSC code needed

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spinball

I just updated my recently leased 2017 REx to the latest maps and surprisingly was not asked for an FSC code. Not that I’m complaining! :mrgreen:

So as a tip to others looking to update, try downloading the map files first and just plug in the flash drive and see if it works. Don’t spend time or money getting and FSC code unless you actually need one!

I need to do this as my city recently rebuilt a major highway intersection. Where do you download the new maps? Are there instructions available for doing the update?

Thanks in advance.

Here's a video on the process (as posted by MattyGigawatts). I would skip the first minute with the FSC code stuff and just try loading the maps. Come back to that other stuff later if you get asked for an FSC code.

I'm not sure it's ok to post the links here (someone correct me if I'm wrong), but there are several places to download the map data for free via bittorrent. The key is to search for BMW North America NEXT 2018-1. That is current as of now, but sometime this year you can expect 2018-2 to be released.

My car has the tech package and I'm unsure if the same "NEXT" maps are used for cars without the tech package?

Updated to 2018-1 maps.

I regret it.

Systems is no longer as stable.
Keep getting strange routing.

I purchased the lifetime code.
The system did not ask for it.

Looking forward to the 2018-2 maps.

That's very odd. Did you use the correct maps for your region?

Map data definitely should not affect stability, because (as far as I know) it's just data and doesn't change the underlying software. Not saying you're wrong, but I've not personally heard of anyone, with any model BMW, make a claim that updating their maps data caused an issue before. I've done it myself 5 or 6 times now. BMW has millions of cars on the road so I'd think if there were any related issues, it would be all over the forums just as any sort of repeatable issue is.

You will get "strange" routing if the system thinks a road is closed. Road closures appear on the map as an icon with a gray background and a black road with a little red X on it. If one of those is near your current route that would explain it.

Will know more, when the next release comes out.

Just tried it.
This time, it worked perfectly.

spinball said:
Here's a video on the process (as posted by MattyGigawatts). I would skip the first minute with the FSC code stuff and just try loading the maps. Come back to that other stuff later if you get asked for an FSC code.

I'm not sure it's ok to post the links here (someone correct me if I'm wrong), but there are several places to download the map data for free via bittorrent. The key is to search for BMW North America NEXT 2018-1. That is current as of now, but sometime this year you can expect 2018-2 to be released.

My car has the tech package and I'm unsure if the same "NEXT" maps are used for cars without the tech package?

Do you mind helping us out by posting a link? I tried various torrent sites and the maps don't turn back any results for some reason. Thanks!

I don't have a link for 2018-1 anymore, but the current maps are 2018-2 anyway. I've been looking and have not found a working torrent for that yet, just various places you can buy a download link.

Back