MarkNo

Using Tesla Destination Chargers with an adapter for your i3?

Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:11 am

We often see Teslas plugged into free chargers that we could be using, but what about our using Tesla's free chargers?

Tesla Destination Chargers are basically level 2 chargers which Tesla distributes to businesses such as hotels, malls, restaurants etc for them to manage. This helps Tesla widen its charging network. The catch is that Tesla uses a different plug and so unless you have an adapter you cannot plug an i3 into a Tesla Destination Charger (BTW regardless of adapters you cannot use Tesla's Superchargers (level 3 chargers) as they require VIN number authentication, whereas the Tesla Destination Chargers do not).

The good news is that there are several adapters on the market which would make it possible to charge an i3 at a Tesla Destination Charger:

http://www.bmwblog.com/2017/11/02/new-a ... -chargers/

http://www.umc-j1772.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQi ... 1gEALw_wcB

https://shop.quickchargepower.com/JDapt ... scsfapp003

Does anyone have any experience to share about using adapters to tap into Tesla's Destination Chargers? Are these adapters worth having, and if so, do you favour a particular model?

OzRob

Re: Using Tesla Destination Chargers with an adapter for your i3?

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:37 am

I just picked up my new 2018 i3s and will mainly charge it overnight at home, for use around the city of Sydney.
However for longer journeys, the best infrastructure in Australia is that of Tesla Superchargers and my supplying BMW dealer tells me I can use them. 2018 i3 has a compatible connector with Tesla but I wonder if anyone has tried this and whether if, for example VIN entry is required, Tesla will recognize a BMW one!

sylvang

Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:07 pm

I own an adapter and it works great but it is not for the supercharger.(maybe n Australia you have different system? not sure) In the states its only for Tesla class 2 destination charging stations but I love it and works well.

alohart

Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:45 pm

OzRob wrote:However for longer journeys, the best infrastructure in Australia is that of Tesla Superchargers and my supplying BMW dealer tells me I can use them. 2018 i3 has a compatible connector with Tesla but I wonder if anyone has tried this and whether if, for example VIN entry is required, Tesla will recognize a BMW one!

I think that you got bad advice because, at least in the U.S., Tesla is charging for the use of Superchargers if one doesn't have the free Supercharger use for life option. A Supercharger knows the VIN of the car being charged and can charge the account of the owner of that car. This would not work for any car brand other than Tesla.

Anywhere that uses the Mennekes Type 2 connector for charging (e.g., Europe) can physically plug in a Supercharger cable to an EV's charging port because in these markets, Tesla's charging port is physically the same as a Mennekes Type 2 port. However, I think that the signals used on the various port pins are incompatible.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

AlexDP

Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:19 pm

OzRob wrote:I just picked up my new 2018 i3s and will mainly charge it overnight at home, for use around the city of Sydney.
However for longer journeys, the best infrastructure in Australia is that of Tesla Superchargers and my supplying BMW dealer tells me I can use them. 2018 i3 has a compatible connector with Tesla but I wonder if anyone has tried this and whether if, for example VIN entry is required, Tesla will recognize a BMW one!

It just cant work...
Tesla sends DC over the Type 2 plug , where the i3 expects AC

OzRob

Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:20 pm

On the question of AC vs DC my owner’s handbook specifically describes DC fast charging as recommended for quickest charging, AC if you’re at home/overnight domestic charging.
My dealer just confirmed I can use Tesla chargers here - I’ll try it but maybe not in front of my local Tesla showroom!

I33t

Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:09 pm

Do you know if the cable from the Tesla system in Australia would fit the i3?

There are a list of EV charger cables for Aussies here: http://www.gelcoservices.com.au/gelco_e ... ehicle.htm
2014 BMW i3 BEV deposit placed 19th Dec 2013
Delivered in Melbourne 4/12/2014. Arrived locally 11/12/14, with 24km on the clock.

jadnashuanh

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:08 pm

Depending on the market, the DC fast charging capability may or may not be standard equipment. None of the Tesla superchargers will work on anything but a Tesla. Any Tesla destination charger should be able to work on the i3 IF you have a compatible adapter assembly, but they are AC.

On acv (level 1 or 2) charging, the i3 can handle somewhere between 3.7 and 7.4Kw, with some that have 3-phase inputs, able to handle a bit more. The Tesla superchargers (DC) can supply up to 125Kw. The input to the i3 can handle up to 50Kw, but the signaling is different between the two, as well as the plug and a converter cable won't fix that. The existing CCS standard tops out at 50Kw, but there are some updates in the works to support up to 350Kw, but there are no vehicles for sale right now that could utilize that, the standard has not been finalized, and there are no units deployed except for a few used by the manufacturers to test their prototypes. Audi has one capable of 150Kw ready to be sold probably next year, and Porsche has one the following year with a 350Kw input capacity.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

theothertom

Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:27 pm

Good info, Jim. Thanks

salocin411

Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:52 am

Granted this is not for the SUPERCHARGERS, but I found this interesting. Still even if it worked... how TESLA bill you for it?
:mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFEJyqGErag

Return to “General / Main i3 Owners Forum”