Coding the i3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the passenger airbag update/recall on my 2015 and I can't code off the seatbelt chime anymore as well. Anyone know what the new parameters are? Can't adjust the alarm lock/unlock beep either.

Anyone in the NYC/long island area have the tools necessary for this coding? Would love to do some of this coding on my i3

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

apex25 said:
Anyone in the NYC/long island area have the tools necessary for this coding? Would love to do some of this coding on my i3

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
If you have an iOS or Android device, you could code your i3 yourself. Download and activate the BimmerCode app and order a Vgate iCar 2 or 3 OBD-Wifi dongle from Amazon. For less than $50, you would be able to code the changes that you desire now and recode these changes after they're deleted when your BMW dealer updates your car's system software.

Any progress on bimmercode with setting 2.4gal? I have a 2014 and it keeps reveringting back to 1.9gal, and I can only enable Rex at 70% and below. Thanks

Hello,

1st time poster here, but I'm sort of at a loss for what I should do. About a week or so ago I coded my car via e-sys to enable TJA using an addon module. The coding went fine, and the TJA worked as intended. The other day, I decided to code my car to disable the freeway requirement and allow for higher speeds. When testing the coding, the TJA functionality still required me to use "the expressway."

I decided to revisit the coding over the weekend, in the meantime I used the BimmerCode app to recode some of the "essentials" (since it's quicker) - ie, folding mirrors when locking, door handle light up in reverse, etc...

Well, the next morning, I received 3 errors when I started my car:
  • Brake System. Drive Moderately
    Cruise Control. Keep your distance
    Front-end collision warning restricted
    Pedestrian alert restricted

I used BimmerCode app to restore from backups. No change. I then went into esys to FA code from the TJA backup file that I saved prior to all of this. When I checked the codes, none of the changes I made were present. So it looks like everything is back to the original state....with the exception of the error codes.

I'm at a loss, other than removing the module to see if that helps. I'd like to learn and fix it myself, but I have no idea what steps to take next (other than just bringing it to the mechanic to fix)

Any advice is _greatly_ appreciated!

Like this?
bimmer_010.jpg

Bob Wilson

Ever since the dealership took my car in for the airbag recall I have been unable to code my car at all. I get messages that the CAFD file was not found when I hit click "read coding data" on ESYS. I'm currently using ESYS 3.28.1 and V.62.4 Pszdata_lite. Is there possibly a newer version of Pszdata available that would make coding possible again?

***HELP NEEDED***

Before I started coding my i3 I had this feature enabled that when I engage the right turn signal and and steer the wheel to right on low speeds the passenger side mirror would tilt outwards for extra viewing angle some kinda blind spot thing...

I coded few things and I must've disabled that by mistake and no backup were taken at that time, could anyone help me to re-enable that feature again? I believe it's called "Automatic Cornering Adjustment".

Thanks in advance.

Chamillikawi said:
I coded few things and I must've disabled that by mistake and no backup were taken at that time, could anyone help me to re-enable that feature again? I believe it's called "Automatic Cornering Adjustment".
No coding required. Just slide the mirror adjustment selection button to the driver's side to enable this standard feature.

alohart said:
Chamillikawi said:
No coding required. Just slide the mirror adjustment selection button to the driver's side to enable this standard feature.

@Alohart,

Thank you for this, but the mirror adjustment selection button is already on the driver side I know this trick already.

There must be a module controlling it and can be adjusted through esys coding and I think I messed it up.

Guys, can anyone confirm that if I select any module for instance "BDC" in esys and press "Code" button (but NOT "Code default values"). This will set all FDL settings to defaults and my i3 will go back to initial factory values... Is this true?

Thank you.

I recently learned that our i3 could be coded to remember the last climate control recirculation setting. Because I prefer to set recirculation to 'M' but the default is 'A', I implemented this coding change which has worked as expected.

I had previously coded the side mirrors to fold when locking the doors via Comfort Access with the delay set to 0 seconds. This had been working almost as expected for several months. The only minor surprise was that a 0 second delay is actually a bit longer such that if I don't touch the door locking ribs long enough, the side mirrors won't fold.

However, immediately after coding the climate control recirculation setting, the side mirrors would no longer fold when locking the doors. However, they would fold if I touched the door locking ribs for a second time (i.e., first touch locks the doors, second touch folds the side mirrors). This new behavior wasn't ideal, so I set the side mirror folding parameters back to their original settings, no side mirror folding with Comfort Access locking and a 1.5 second delay time. I then reapplied the side mirror folding with Comfort Access locking and a 0 second delay time. After doing so, the side mirrors fold when locking the doors with Comfort Access, so there's no need to touch the door locking ribs a second time to fold the side mirrors. Weird!

alohart said:
However, immediately after coding the climate control recirculation setting, the side mirrors would no longer fold when locking the doors.
Unfortunately, the side mirrors no longer fold when locking the doors by touching the Comfort Access ribs on the door handles. The button that folds/unfolds the side mirrors still functions normally, so I have no idea why the coding changes no longer function after reliably functioning for several months. Oh well, back to manually folding the side mirrors when parking, I guess.

Has anyone found the new parameter locations for the welcome gong and seatbelt reminder?

My car's software (2014 REX) was updated about 2 months ago and I coded the car last week using PSdZData_Lite_v4.12.41.7z

All other coding worked (tank size, enabling hold mode, legal disclaimer, etc.) but the 2 parameters mentioned above are no longer in the ACSM2/3001 tree.

Thanks.

Chamillikawi said:
Guys, can anyone confirm that if I select any module for instance "BDC" in esys and press "Code" button (but NOT "Code default values"). This will set all FDL settings to defaults and my i3 will go back to initial factory values... Is this true?

Thank you.

Yes. It will code the module to defaults based on your VO. If you didnt modify your VO, then it will be stock.

Can someone please show me how to turn on the back up camera at any speed? I've seen it posted here before but I can't seem to find it. Thanks in advance!

RRBerman said:
Can someone please show me how to turn on the back up camera at any speed?

I haven't tried this. However, it is listed in a coding document that I downloaded, so it might be worth trying.

PMA_PDC Module:

Enable Rear-View Camera at all Speeds
300D->d_schwelle_2kmh set to: werte = FF
300D->v_schwelle_2kmh set to: werte = FF

By way of introduction, I have a 2014 i3 REX which I bought after it was returned post-lease in 2016. I have put about 20,000 miles on it, including some reasonably long trips. The longest to date was a three day trip to Bend Oregon and back (1,100 miles) that was only inconvenienced when the fuel pump relay for the REX failed in Bend, and I had to spend half a day getting it fixed at the extremely friendly BMW dealership there. Each leg was 9 hours, the vast majority of which was at 75MPH on I5.

I've also taken the i3 from Santa Cruz to South Lake Tahoe, a distance of about 270 miles/five hours and a climb of around 7,500 feet. In no case could I figure out how to run power to the car when I parked it overnight, so conserving electrical power is paramount.

After reading this forum immediately prior to buying the car, I realized that I'd need to have the car coded, so I've done this twice: one day after I bought the car in 2016, and today, post-trip-to-the-dealer where they upgraded the software and I lost all of the wonderful changes that I had come to know and love.

As with virtually everyone else, my main coding changes have been the increase in the gas tank and the manual REX activation, plus some convenience changes, including using Eco Pro as the default driving mode (to encourage longer range).

My real reason for writing is that, having not experienced the default software/REX activation at 6% SOC for the last two years, I can't imagine owning the car without the REX manual activation hack. I was sweating bullets while driving to my coding appointment, terrified that I would dip below 3% SOC and go into SLOE MODE. As I was on a major freeway, this could have been deadly. Why CARB insisted that they cripple (no offense to the disabled) this car with stupid software is inconceivable. I may use my REX somewhat more often that others, but I also use my i3 as if it were a "normal" car, and therefore keep another oil-burner off the streets.

If anyone wants more information about the trip to Bend, I'd be happy to describe it at length.

Cheers,

Chuck
Silver i3/REX with the cheap interior option

chuckhawley said:
Why CARB insisted that they cripple (no offense to the disabled) this car with stupid software is inconceivable.
CARB didn't insist on anything. BMW worked with CARB to create a new car category, BEVx, so that BMW would earn more credits for each i3 sale than it would have had an i3 REx been categorized similarly to plug-in hybrids. These credits allow BMW to sell more gas-guzzlers. BMW had the option of selling an uncrippled i3 REx categorized like other PHEV's but chose to cripple an i3 REx to allow it to meet BEVx standards.

Some of you know Carly for coding ?

I have it for my bmw M135iX and now i have my bmw I3S, i already code somme tips, but simce 1 month a find only 5 module in programing section instead 8 ou 9 like in july ...
I cant go in ICM module to code star engin in eco mode.
Some have already see this ?

Back