No Back-up Camera?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tacfoto

I just bought a brand new '17 REX in Blue. I have the cruise control and emergency braking. I have the 9 inch screen. I was astonished to find I don't have a back-up camera. They are required by law in the USA in April 2018. My 2008 Acura has it as standard equipment. I do have the rear warning that go nuts when i get 6-8 feet away from something. But with a back-up camera you can get an inch away. Something pretty useful in a big city.

Anyway is it possible to add a back-up camera? I mean an actual BMW camera?

I am looking at some after market options but they will all be clunky and I wonder how long they will actually work.

Until the 2018 model, a rear camera was included in the U.S. only with the Parking Assist package which your i3 apparently does not have.

I have not read of any retrofit of a BMW rear camera on an i3, but I have read of 3rd-party rear cameras being installed. I'm guessing that a retrofit would cost much more than installing a 3rd-party camera.

Thanks. I've looked at lots of after market models but they all require a separate screen. Either one built into a rear view mirror, or a separate one that must be mounted someplace. There are a few that send to your smart phone. And of course all require some running of wires in places that would never look the same after you took them apart and reassembled.

stay away from bimmertech, 1st unit worked 2 days, 2nd one worked for a week, I found another company that's is made in USA and many people use

Cool there are some options. Bimmertech and....?

"I found another company that's is made in USA and many people use" Cool but what is the name of that company?

Back