Your thoughts on this deal...2018 i3 REX with 20 inch wheel as the only option

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarineQuinn

Hi folks. I'm transitioning to the electric car world and am considering a BMW i3 REX. I've been car shopping for over a year [I will continue to drive my gas guzzling SUV for moving big SUV type stuff] and have considered everything from hybrids, to more conventional sports and luxury sedans.

I began shopping for the i3 when I found out about the PG&E $10,000.00 incentive. Honestly, the i3 wasn't even in my radar until then; my decision was essentially sealed after a test drive, and much research time [including on this forum].

I requested a quote for the following build [San Francisco Bay Area]:

Year: 2018
Model: REX
Trim: Deka World
Color: Black
The only option I selected was the 20 inch wheels.

This car will have to be factory ordered [it will take 1-2 months before it's ready for pickup] at the dealership.

Here's the best quote I got:

MSRP: Apprx. $51,145.00 [including 995 destination]
Sale price: $47,000.00
Minus $10,000.00 PG&E incentive: $37,000.00
After tax, license and registration: apprx. $41,000.00
Minus Fed tax credit [$7,500.00], state rebate [$2,500.00], and PG&E rebate [$500.00]: apprx. $30,500.00.

One way to look at this is I'm getting a brand new $51,000.00 car for about $27,300.00 [this "price" deducts the additional $10,500.00 incentives from the $37,000.00 quote but adds on another approximately $800.00 for taxes I'm paying on the $37,000.00 quote].

As I see it, the i3 as spec'ced:

1. Costs as much, if not less, than a used, lower mileage 2016 BMW i3 REX which I have found in the $26,000.00 to $28,000.00 range [though they may come better equipped] and costs about $10,000.00 less than used 2017 BMW i3 REX [but of course, I get the longer range battery [over the 2016 model] full warranty and 3 years free maintenance].

2. Costs as much as a Chevy Bolt. I drove the Bolt and it just didn't impress me [the materials felt like they were pulled from an entry level Chevy, though with that said, I'm disappoointed the i3 doesn't come with at least "pleather" and power seats].

3. Costs as much as the Prius Prime premium I was considering. But, gosh that car looks UGLY [and it's not all electric].

4. [After all incentives] Costs about $5,000.00 to $6,000.00 more than the Nissan Leaf I test drove. My reaction to the Leaf: meh...like the Bolt, it felt cheap; the i3 is definitely heads and shoulders above in terms of fun to drive, quality, and flexibility.

Your thoughts on this offer?

Does the "net" effective sale price of about $27,300.00 make this a smart deal to buy rather than lease?

FWIW, I want to purchase and not lease, as I've done the research and believe that that the approximately $20,500.00 in total rebates, credits and incentives, will cover the depreciation. Plus, I plan on keeping this car for a while as I do with most of my cars; I don't need to constantly trade up or "have the most current."

Thanks much!

I purchased a used 2015 Rex Tera with all options with 12K miles for 20,500 a month ago CPO. If the rebates as you listed were available/available to me in Louisiana I would have purchased the 2017 new one they had on the lot. Unfortunately, that was not the case so I went used. However, in your case I would purchase new with maybe another grand or more off of the dealer portion. My two cents ..

@MarineQuinn: I am in a similar situation. I believe you have a pretty good deal lined up. Currently, I need to choose between the BMW i3 and the Tesla Model 3. On paper, Model 3 has almost 3 times the electric range, much faster acceleration and a lot more technology. Having said that, from my "user need" perspective, Model 3 could be an over-kill whereas i3 should be able to do the job, most of the time. I have a hard time justifying the price premium of the Model 3 versus i3. Tough decision here.

I am seriously considering the 2018 i3 BEV (with no extender). I live in the Bay Area as well. I think the >100 mile electric range is enough for 96% of my daily requirements. I have no intention to use the i3 for long road trips. My ICE SAV can do that.

Your deal is very good already, but if somehow you manage to make it better, do let me know. In that case, I might pull the trigger and end up as another new i3 owner, soon!

Good luck.

@NEWTOEV2018: Thanks for your comments. You pretty much summarized our family's many considerations. We are actually on the priority waiting list for the Model 3 [we have a family member who owns one]. I have to say that it is a beautiful car and our "ticket" to purchase got called about 2 months ago, but it was only for the "extended range" battery. We knew that using that full range on a single drive [or on an "out and back"] might occur occasionally, at best, making the upgrade an unnecessary and very expensive expense.

When we told Tesla "no", Tesla then told us that we were getting pushed back to "Late 2018". That's probably optimistic and honestly, by the time our number is called again, I suspect the $7,500.00 tax credit will be exhausted.

We're considering the REX to give us that peace of mind, and to make the car a more realistic option for those drives to Sacramento, Monterey or even Lake Tahoe. I figure if "we bought it, we have to use it" and the REX gives us the opportunity to "use it" on those types of drives without worrying about finding a charging station.

Best of luck to you!

Indeed, your situation is almost the same as mine. My Tesla Model 3 ticket has been called as well. I have deferred the call due to various reasons, including reported quality issues of the 1st batch products. There are people who are "guessing" that Tesla will manage the distribution of cars to achieve the US delivery of the 200,000th unit on July 1, 2018 (instead of June 30, 2018). That way, the full $7,500 federal credit will be available until December 31, 2018.

Your case for the extender is pretty strong. I need to re-consider. Perhaps I should get a REX as well. I am in no hurry. We have two ICE vehicles that are running fine for the time being. We just want to "start" to contribute our share to the environment, meanwhile not spending too much $$.

Let us know how your deal goes. Take care.

Maybe Wall Street is reading your post, and mine. TSLA share price is down by almost $10 now as we speak. :eek:

If you cancel your Model 3 ticket - and I do the same thing, and others do so as well ... Musk may not be able to cash out on his $55 billion compensation package any time soon.

Some options on the i3 are really nice to have, and IMHO, 20" wheels aren't one of them! Even SF gets cool in the winter, and the 20" tire/wheel package really is a summer package that will be horrible if you want to consider going anywhere there could be anything frozen or even just cold. Plus, unless the road is super smooth, the ride is degraded.

I think the 2018 now comes with the backup camera as standard, and most people don't need the parking package with the all of the sensors. SF probably would benefit from the active cruise control. Originally, I didn't think I'd like/need it, but having used it now for a few years, I'd want it on my next car, too. I really like the comfort access, where I almost never remove the fob.

The HK audio upgrade is nice, but it really depends on what you are trying to accomplish. I listen mostly to NPR, and it's not a big benefit. If your hearing is normal and you like music, you may want to opt for that. If you're going to keep an ICE, depending on what your typical daily needs are, you really might want to reconsider the BEV. With the REx, you're carrying around a really heavy person constantly, have a muffler, oil changes, spark plugs, gas tank, etc., to deal with. Not that they require a huge amount of servicing, the BEV is significantly less. This is maybe more significant if you intend to own it beyond the warranty period. FWIW, the BEV has a heat pump, so heating is much more efficient. The REx relies entirely on resistance heating, so one watt of heat takes one watt out of the battery verses about 3-4:1 benefit on the BEV's heat pump. In your climate, you may not need heat all that often, so it may not be a huge factor. That extra weight will wear on the tires faster, too, and it's slower than the BEV.

I bit on a similar deal on a 2018 i3 Rex, terra, HK, park distance and 240v charger. $54,500 with destination, $29,800 out of pocket after fed tax rebate.

With the 2 year of free charge, it was a no brainer. Haven’t plugged it into my home outlet and don’t plan too, 2 EVgo DC fast charge locations within a 4 radius.

Didn’t want the Rex due to extra weight, but my wife wanted range insurance. Used the range extender twice in the first 2 weeks.

I cancelled my Tesla 3 as well.

@WPALOMINE: Thanks. Sounds like you got a very, very good deal. A few questions:

1. Is the 240v charger standard on all i3s?
2. Where do you live?
3. Did you get an additional 10k "incentive" from your local utility? How did you get the price down to $29,800?
3. Is your $29,800.00 inclusive of tax, license and registration?
4. Having used the REX twice in two weeks, what do you think of it? Worthwhile investment?

I’m in NJ. Yup took advantage of the 10k utility rebate, no sales tax and 2k loyalty. The $29,800 includes registration and fees.

Negations was easy. Totally transparent that I had a Tesla 3 order and did not want to pay over 30k. It was not realistic to get a base Tesla 3 and get the fed rebate, hence I’m looking at i3 or egolf. In hindsight I think I could have gotten a better deal.

The car comes standard with a 110v plug. The 240v plug was a $500 line item. I keep the 240v in the frunk and the 110v at home.

I’m still on the fence with the Rex.

@wpalomine: May I ask, what is the $2,000 loyalty discount?

I understand members of the BMW Car Club (BMWCCA) could enjoy a discount. Is this it? I drive a BMW now (bought new a number of years ago) but not a member of BMWCCA. I certainly have loyalty but wonder how to get something out of it.

Back