Lexmin

DriveTrain Error and loss of power whilst over taking

Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:57 am

I've had a very distressing situation arise with my 1 year old i3 Rex. I was driving to work the other morning in the dark and in the middle of an overtaking manuoevre the DriveTrain error appeared on the screen and the power on the accelerator went completely. The message said to stop driving and switch the car off....very scary message to get when driving especially when overtaking. Fortunately, the road was not busy and I managed to coast along the road into a layby but normally this road is very busy and this completely unexpected failure could have caused a very serious accident. I've had not previous errors alerting me to any problem with the car, engine or battery. The car was charged, I was not using the range extender, I was not on an incline and I was only accelerating from 55mph to 60mph so the car was not under any strain. BMW have said the problem has been fixed, there was a sensor problem and something wrong with the engine. I wasn't using the engine so why would a failure with it affect the acceleration and power. I've lost so much confidence in the car. What if this error had happened on busy motorway at 70mph with my kids in the car. Has anybody else had this problem? Not sure what to do next. I can't be expected to continue to pay for a car I'm scared to go over 55mph and overtake in.

theothertom

Re: DriveTrain Error and loss of power whilst over taking

Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:25 pm

Scroll down the page a bit. Lots of comments on this error.
Link: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1519

Lexmin

Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:19 am

I did read most of those but felt since they were older models I couldn't use them to go back to BMW...would like to hear if anybody with the new 2016 94H model has had this problem. BMW says it is fixed and they added about 70 miles to my car to road test it. I'll not be having my kids in the car now for long journeys when I go over 50mph as I've lost confidence in the car. It was perfectly fine for 16,000miles and then out of nowhere failed so it could happen again anytime.
Thanks for your post. :(

Jeremy

Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:43 pm

We had this problem a couple of weeks ago on a crowded motorway in poor visibility.

My wife got a "Drivetrain - not possible to continue .." message and the drive immediately shifted into "N".

Fortunately she managed to coast through two lanes of trucks, in driving rain, onto the hard shoulder - but we were both pretty shaken. After switching off & on twice - the fault cleared & the car drove normally for 200 miles,

Our i3 is an early 2014 model which has suffered from spurious "drivetrain errors" of various types since new - despite several attempts by BMW to resolve them. We've just got used to switching off & on again to clear them.

This is the first time it has ever interfered with driving though.

Like you, we've lost all confidence in the car and my wife won't take it on a motorway again - making the car useless to us since I can't drive. I'm serious considering legal action against BMW on safety grounds even though the car is out of warranty.

It's truly shocking that the new 94 models are exhibiting the same problems as the originals - after all the complaints BMW have had.

I guess they will only act when a few people have died.

bwilson4web
Forum Supporter

Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:33 pm

A year ago, December, we had a motor mount break in traffic. Unable to get a tow, I caught a cab home and Saturday morning we got the car towed to BMW. It took two weeks during which I had to fall back to our 2010 Prius. Lacking dynamic cruise control and collision avoidance, I lost all confidence in the 2010 Prius and replaced it with a Prius Prime.

The BMW i3-REx was repaired with significantly stronger parts but I never again want to be without dynamic cruise control and collision avoidance. So the BMW i3-REx backs up the Prime and the Prime backs up the BMW i3-REx. The 2010 Prius was sold.

For those who have 'lost all confidence' in their BMW i3, you have options that continue to expand. Just a word of caution, only the Prime comes with standard dynamic cruise control, collision avoidance braking, and lane keep assist (more a reminder.) By all means, don't keep a car that you have 'lost all confidence' but seek relief as soon as possible. BTW, I understand the Tesla cars are nice.

Bob Wilson
20k/27k mi 2014 BMW i3-REx
10k/10k mi 2017 Prius Prime

Benagami

Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:28 am

In Massachusetts we're required by our lemon law to disclose any defects in our cars to prospective buyers - even in a private sale. The list of i3 defects continues to expand, from drive train errors, to motor mounts, to miscalculations by the GOM. By the time I finish disclosing these problems my car will be worth nothing.

jadnashuanh

Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:48 pm

Benagami wrote:In Massachusetts we're required by our lemon law to disclose any defects in our cars to prospective buyers - even in a private sale. The list of i3 defects continues to expand, from drive train errors, to motor mounts, to miscalculations by the GOM. By the time I finish disclosing these problems my car will be worth nothing.

If your car went through the recall for the motor mounts, IMHO, it is no longer a defect. IF you did NOT take the car in, I find that kind of a big mistake. If the car does not have any open recalls or service campaigns applicable to it, it should not be considered a defect. If a reason was discovered, and then fixed, IMHO, it is no longer a defect, but is part of the service history. ALL cars have some service campaigns against them, and it is rare that there isn't a recall or two on them, especially when a new model.

The i3 (and most EVs) have a big depreciation hit on them from retail, partly because the market is limited, people are scared of new things, and many people realize that they can get $7500 tax credit on a new one, so that already makes the car 'worth' less on the used market place.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

Benagami

Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:06 pm

I've been unable to obtain the recall history or the service history on my car, despite requesting it from the BMW dealer I've been using. They claim they do not have access to it.

EVMan

Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:26 pm

Same happened to me as and I was around 25 miles driving normally

Did they find any issue?
2017 33KWH Rex
Model 3 Long Range
Solar ToU Plan

jadnashuanh

Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:16 pm

Benagami wrote:I've been unable to obtain the recall history or the service history on my car, despite requesting it from the BMW dealer I've been using. They claim they do not have access to it.

You can see if there are any open safety recalls on your vehicle by accessing the www.nhtsa.gov website and providing your VIN. BMW may have some service campaigns for your vehicle, and they should be able to just read your keyfob and tell. Some are customer complaint triggered...they won't be applied unless you complain about a specific problem, and those, the typical service writer may not know about, but the service manager will.

If your vehicle was serviced at a BMW dealership, they can pull the service history on it. Whether they have a way to easily print it for you or not, I do not know.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”