Doug DeMouro reviews the i3 Rex

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tacfoto

If you don't know Doug DeMouro his reviews can be pretty entertaining. Don't take it too personally...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLfRPT5sEEI

Interesting that he had unflattering things to say about the fit of body panels when another link here showing Munroe? and associates who take apart cars for a living and analyze them saying the i3 has the best fit and finish they have ever seen.

lol.

Doug rents a used 2014 i3 and then starts comparing it to the 2018 EV's.

Even so, he likes the i3 but not the cost. Over 4 years since it was in build, the i3 EV is still at the near top of the efficiency matrix. Way more efficient than the Tesla he mentioned.

The owner of the 2014 EV has screwed or glued the front cupholder so it doesn't get removed.

The panel gaps at the hood are very large but consistant. On mine and others that I have seen. I think they were done that way by BMW on purpose, but it's not clear why. Gaps between the doors and fenders are much smaller for example.

The front cup holder is tough to remove in mine. It takes jiggling back and forth vigorously for about 10-25 seconds. I think the idea there was BMW would (does?) sell other things that can go in the three slots. I know you can fit 2 cup holders at the same time in the two outside slots for a total of 3.

The worst thing about the car he reviewed is those terrible plasti-diped wheels. They ruin the look of the car.

He lives close to me and I offered (via email) my 2017 blue i3 Rex for him to review but never got a response.

The review is accurate and he likes it a lot. Good to watch. He missed a few points, but exactly why I am here with my new to me 3 year old i3 after driving one 4 years ago. BMW didn't set the MSRP right.

Most BMWs are not the greatest cars when you factor in the list price!

Being a low-volume car, there are limits on what you can do to bring the price down. One reason most EVs seem to have a fairly significant depreciation is the effect of the federal tax credit, and, in some places, the local, state, and utility rebates. Throw all of those in, if you're lucky, and the real cost is quite a bit lower, so that also makes the new verses old price differences less, meaning when given all of the above, people gravitate to the newest, largest battery, new warranty version verses a used one where there are no financial incentives and potentially, no remaining warranty (except on the battery).

Given the choices out there, for what the i3 can do, there aren't any others that are nicer that you can walk into a store and walk out with a new car.

viking79 said:
BMW didn't set the MSRP right.
Its advanced aluminum frame, CFRP passenger cell, and thermoplastic exterior panels as well as complex fully-independent rear suspension make the i3 considerably more expensive to build than the typical steel EV with a crude twist-beam rear suspension. Most car buyers don't value such things so aren't willing to pay what an i3 is worth to some of us.

alohart said:
viking79 said:
Its advanced aluminum frame, CFRP passenger cell, and thermoplastic exterior panels as well as complex fully-independent rear suspension make the i3 considerably more expensive to build than the typical steel EV with a crude twist-beam rear suspension. Most car buyers don't value such things so aren't willing to pay what an i3 is worth to some of us.

It would be good for the environment if either BMW spawns a separate EV line brand for mass-producing the i3 (without attaching the expensive/luxury-brand BMW logo/kidneys to it) or someone like Toyota licenses CFRP, etc., from BMW and builds a Prius cousin for, say $25K, or if both happen.

alohart said:
viking79 said:
A vast majority of customers aren't willing to pay extra for those features alone. None of those make it safer than a steel car, they make it lighter. Mainly racers are willing to pay for weight reduction so BMW makes the opposite of a sports car.

I also wouldn't brag about i3 suspension though, it is not great and twitchy over bumps and hard cornering.

Don't get me wrong, I love the i3, why I bought a used one, but most people wouldn't pay that much except for upper class people looking for a high tech toy. Heck, I would if my income was high enough. My point is the MSRP put it out of reach of most of the people who would buy one.

Next up, Doug reviews a BMW 320i and compares it to the Nissan Altima and Honda Accord. Decides that since the BMW get worse gas mileage and charges extra for options that are standard in the Nissan and Honda, that BMW is missing the mark and charging too much.

</sarcarsm>

graememwl said:
Next up, Doug reviews a BMW 320i and compares it to the Nissan Altima and Honda Accord. Decides that since the BMW get worse gas mileage and charges extra for options that are standard in the Nissan and Honda, that BMW is missing the mark and charging too much.

</sarcarsm>

Wait, so the Honda is faster, cheaper, better gas mileage, bigger, safer, better equipped, but you think the BMW is a better buy?

• egg shaped - 1st error (anti-Prius bias showing)
  • $62,000 nobody is paying - 2nd error as it does not match demo car, model year
  • worst depreciation - Fisker
  • what year? - Ekectronaut is 2014??
  • complicated wiper stalk - the pulse operated stalk is mechanically simpler
  • disable button icon - why not?
  • grabbing door to close - who cares as long as it doesn't break and closes the door
  • defeated by removable cup holder - guess the manual is too hard to read
  • no backup camera - again, he is reviewing an older model than mine
  • top heavy - BS! He never tried a cloverleaf with a tailgater
  • compared to Model 3 - which took 3 years to come out after 2014
  • plug-in hybrid range - wins against any BEV for 1,000 miles

Bob Wilson

viking79 said:
graememwl said:

</sarcarsm>

Wait, so the Honda is faster, cheaper, better gas mileage, bigger, safer, better equipped, but you think the BMW is a better buy?

No, what I'm saying is the word "wert" has been removed from all dictionaries in Spartanburg :D
No-one has ever bought a BMW because it's the best value. Why then do people buy BMW's, or Porsches or Mercedes? Value is low on the priority list.
Saying that the i3 is not great value is stating the obvious.

Fair enough. The i3 certainly has features that add to the price, my point is only that they would get more buyers at a lower price point. Moreso than with a standard BMW. I think it is hard to find buyers willing to pay more for a compact hatch, even if it is carbon fiber and is made in a more sustainable way. Maybe if they had made a compact sports coup or maybe a more mini SUV like the Mini Countryman they could have sold more. Right now you can tell they have to heavily incentivize it to get the sales they want.

I think it was cool they made the attempt, and doubly cool that it was sold in all states. Not like Hyundai/Kia only selling them in CARB states, etc.

IMHO, building the i3 was more than just designing a new car...it was a lead-in to new production techniques, a statement (you may or may not agree with), and is one of the few vehicles available that was a true, clean-sheet exercise to flex some creative muscle. It was never designed for huge numbers if you believe some of the in-depth reviews. The production technique becomes less economical with more than about 50K vehicles/annum and they knew that at the time. But, the knowledge they got in developing the CFRP parts puts them many years ahead of everyone else. after placement of the CFRP, 5-minutes to a cured life module?! Everyone else needs literally a day at least to reach the same condition. As you can see from other, higher-volume models, they didn't use as much CFRP, but it is incorporated into their chassis where it helps in either strength or weight savings, or both.

There are intrinsic benefits to a car like the i3 in that it (should be) very reliable, long-term, nothing to really rust, body panels that are hard to ding up, still one of the most efficient after 4 MY, and, at least for me, is a nearly perfect daily driver. Personally, with my use pattern, I saw no benefit for the REx, but if you understand why it's there, it's a pretty slick serial hybrid vehicle. The car was NOT designed for everyone, as none are...but it does fill a niche, and IMHO, does it well. It would work for lots more people than realize it, too. If you don't have new car envy, depreciation will all even out in the end as the thing should last a very long time with minimal maintenance.

jadnashuanh said:
IMHO, building the i3 was more than just designing a new car...it was a lead-in to new production techniques, a statement (you may or may not agree with), and is one of the few vehicles available that was a true, clean-sheet exercise to flex some creative muscle. It was never designed for huge numbers if you believe some of the in-depth reviews. The production technique becomes less economical with more than about 50K vehicles/annum and they knew that at the time. But, the knowledge they got in developing the CFRP parts puts them many years ahead of everyone else. after placement of the CFRP, 5-minutes to a cured life module?! Everyone else needs literally a day at least to reach the same condition. As you can see from other, higher-volume models, they didn't use as much CFRP, but it is incorporated into their chassis where it helps in either strength or weight savings, or both.

There are intrinsic benefits to a car like the i3 in that it (should be) very reliable, long-term, nothing to really rust, body panels that are hard to ding up, still one of the most efficient after 4 MY, and, at least for me, is a nearly perfect daily driver. Personally, with my use pattern, I saw no benefit for the REx, but if you understand why it's there, it's a pretty slick serial hybrid vehicle. The car was NOT designed for everyone, as none are...but it does fill a niche, and IMHO, does it well. It would work for lots more people than realize it, too. If you don't have new car envy, depreciation will all even out in the end as the thing should last a very long time with minimal maintenance.

Very well said. I agree with all your points.

The i3 and i8 were tester cars for BMW to dip their toes in the mass EV market. I think it has been a big success, at least for the i3.

Like you said, it's the perfect daily commuter for me, and my lifestyle.

bwilson4web said:
  • egg shaped - 1st error (anti-Prius bias showing)
  • $62,000 nobody is paying - 2nd error as it does not match demo car, model year
  • worst depreciation - Fisker
  • what year? - Ekectronaut is 2014??
  • complicated wiper stalk - the pulse operated stalk is mechanically simpler
  • disable button icon - why not?
  • grabbing door to close - who cares as long as it doesn't break and closes the door
  • defeated by removable cup holder - guess the manual is too hard to read
  • no backup camera - again, he is reviewing an older model than mine
  • top heavy - BS! He never tried a cloverleaf with a tailgater
  • compared to Model 3 - which took 3 years to come out after 2014
  • plug-in hybrid range - wins against any BEV for 1,000 miles

Bob Wilson

Don't take his reviews so seriously, they are mostly light-hearted and fun.

It's mainly for entertainment rather than information purposes.

Watch his other reviews, you will enjoy them!

:D

viking79 said:
The i3 certainly has features that add to the price, my point is only that they would get more buyers at a lower price point.
Lower price increases demand is a general fact of capitalism, but if the price doesn't cover the development, manufacturing, and sales costs, the manufacturer would eventually fail.

viking79 said:
I think it is hard to find buyers willing to pay more for a compact hatch, even if it is carbon fiber and is made in a more sustainable way.
I doubt that BMW planned the i3 to be a high-volume seller if for no other reason that making a CFRP passenger compartment takes far more time than making a metal passenger compartment due to the CFRP curing time.

viking79 said:
Maybe if they had made a compact sports coup or maybe a more mini SUV like the Mini Countryman they could have sold more.
A Mini and x3 EV will be sold soon and will undoubtedly sell in higher numbers due to their lower manufacturing costs. But these vehicles will be considerably heavier and less efficient unless BMW has made significant advances in drive train efficiencies.

viking79 said:
I think it was cool they made the attempt, and doubly cool that it was sold in all states.
Not only in all states but in many countries. International i3 sales have been relatively good.

Munro and Associates disassembled an i3 and estimated BMW's manufacturing costs and break even sales numbers which have been exceeded already. What BMW learned about strong, lightweight CFRP construction techniques is being applied across all of its vehicle models.

All very nice.... but I used to drive a lexus SC430 (2006 model) and will never go back to it......... reviews.... they should drive one for a month :mrgreen:

Back