Extended Warranty for BMW I3 Rex

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FloridaI3Owner

Has anyone purchased a BMW extended warranty for an I3 Rex?

My car has 45,000 miles and the dealer suggested that I purchase a BMW extended warranty. I was just curious if anyone has purchased that warranty before and what it actually covers.

The warranty is very expensive, and the number of parts/systems that are not covered is extensive. I was quoted $4,700 for 3 years/65,000 miles by BMW. That's one third of the value of my car, so the answer is NO, I will NOT buy it. Frankly, the i3 should become a very reliable car once the bugs are worked out, which most of them seem to have been. I'm not going to buy the warranty.

Benagami said:
Frankly, the i3 should become a very reliable car once the bugs are worked out, which most of them seem to have been.
I agree. There's not that much to fail, like an ICE car.
Besides, the BMW extended warranty is a profit maker for the dealerships. So I'm not surprised they tried to sell you one.

Buying this car is a big risk in itself. That's one of the reasons for the money you saved up front buying it (assuming you got it used). Not everyone is willing to take a risk with a car like this. Remember you got the car for 50% off when you fork the bill to pay for a repair and that should keep you from frowning.

An extended warranty is an insurance policy...you may never need it, but you might be happy you have it. It's a decision only you can assess the benefits to you verses the risks. Keep in mind, all insurance companies are in it for the money...they don't give stuff away for free. With that in mind, the average user will not get more out of their warranty than it cost them, but certainly, some will benefit greatly.

jadnashuanh said:
An extended warranty is an insurance policy...you may never need it, but you might be happy you have it. It's a decision only you can assess the benefits to you verses the risks. Keep in mind, all insurance companies are in it for the money...they don't give stuff away for free. With that in mind, the average user will not get more out of their warranty than it cost them, but certainly, some will benefit greatly.

I have agonised over this for the past month having never bought extended warranties on my three previous BMW purchases. Up until last weekend, my i3REx has been trouble free. My car is now in the 'shop' for a fuel sensor replacement after the fuel flap failed to open. Fortunately, I had 2 days left on my manufacturer's warranty so the cost should be covered. This experience has though tipped me into buying an extended BMW warranty with a small excess. This time next year I will know if it was value for money.

I feel your pain. After seeing all the awful reports of failures on Facebook I have sleepless nights wondering what's going to happen to my i3 when the warranty ends in two months. I guess I'll "cross that bridge" when I get to it.

If you're in the US, your REx is warranted for 15yrs/150,000miles... see page 32/38
http://www.evclub.lk/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/2014-i3-Service-Manual.pdf

jadnashuanh said:

Very well said.
Given that a average person will loose, i shy away from these things, unless you are at higher risk..

SSi3 said:
If you're in the US, your REx is warranted for 15yrs/150,000miles... see page 32/38
http://www.evclub.lk/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/2014-i3-Service-Manual.pdf

Ok , i saw page no 28. And i am confused.
On the heading it looks like , the warranty is for emissions, which may mean , the warranty may come into effect , only if there is a emissions test fail , and not for a engine failure failure or other than emissions failure .
Inside , almost all the parts are listed. including the AC , DSC etc.

Can some one elaborate , what if my AC fails in year 12 at 145k ?
Will it be covered.
if its covered, then , pretty much the whole car is covered,

Even for battery, it says 70K and 100K both , which makes it even more confusing.
'The following component is covered on the applicable vehicles for defects by the California Emission
Control System Limited Warranty for a period of 10 years or 150,000 miles, or a period of 7 years or
70,000 miles, whichever occurs first, subject to all applicable exclusions and limitations as indicated in
the table below:

'

I've read (on this and other sites) that it's hard to find a dealer that will do work under that warranty unless it was specifically an emissions problem.

Back