Roof paint color?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyboy320

I have a 2014 i3 in Andesitsilber Silver and I have a scratch on the roof I would like to fix. I know the body color code is B92 and the hood is Jet black (668), but I cannot find the color code for the roof. It seems to be a carbon fiber weave of sort?

Yes, the roof panel consists of carbon fiber weave, actually it’s pieced together from scraps trimmed off the main Life Module panels during production. A visible example of the sustainable process used during production. The process was touched on during an Autoline After Hours podcast with a BMW production manager.

https://youtu.be/MQD_Qf5NE-I

The body panel discussion starts around 09:35. They don’t specify how the panel is finished, just stating that it’s a “class A surface.” There’s another episode that goes into the i3 tear down performed by Munro Associates. They may have gotten into the roof panel then. I can’t recall.

Thanks for the help guys :)

I just went to a BMW body shop and they explained the roof is carbon fiber with a gel coat over top of it. They said the scratches were quite deep and they would recommend replacing the roof with a new one for about $4000! But they also went on to say the scratches perhaps were just in the gel coat and try and put some clear coat in them and it might cover them up. So I got home and put some water in the scratches and they disappeared which led me to believe they were not down into the carbon fiber. So I went ahead and used my clear coat paint pen and carefully put some in the scratches and they all disappeared....I think I got lucky on this one!

Back