2015 i3 BEV or REX?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davinci1490

I found a 2015 BEV for $17,694 with 12kmiles on it. Is it a good deal? REX would be at least 2000 more with higher miles.

can you please share your experience with BEV and REX?

Thank you!!!

It all depends on where you are and how you drive. I live and work in a major city, average under 10 miles per day, can easily access charging, and have a paid-off ICE vehicle as a second car. I’m on my second leased BEV. It’s just about perfect for my situation. If you routinely drive over 80 miles a day, have unpredictable charging, or don’t have access to an ICE for long-distance trips, you might consider a REx.

In your other posts, you reference your experiences with a used 2012 Leaf. If it’s met your needs, a BEV will likely exceed them.

Thank you so much. I live in burbank, CA. My daily routine is within 6 miles range and I do have easy access to charge stations. Leaf taught me how to manage low range EV pretty well. It is only during the weekend id like to go places that could be 40 miles away. But it will be within the i3 range anyways. :)

Perhaps the market is different on the East Coast. I just signed the papers for a 2015 Rex with 18,500 miles for $16,990. Spotless car. Clean Carfax. Has the Technology/Driving Assist package. I have been watching every i3 in my area for a few months though, and this is definitely a deal compared to what most dealers want. Closer to what the Bev is going for -- I think I got lucky and found a Honda dealer who took one on trade and realized it's not a car with a high number of potential buyers. Good luck with yours!

SpaceEgg said:
Perhaps the market is different on the East Coast.

The prices of used/cpo i3s varies wildly on which region of the US you are in. Namely, if you are in the regions where the 10K BMW incentive was active for 2018 models the used/CPO were most affordable at those locations.

We purchased our second i3 sight unseen from a dealership in Massachusetts and had it shipped to Florida.

Prices for used EVs have historically been a bit higher in California due to demand for HOV access stickers. The rules for those will change in 2019 and it'll be interesting to see what that does for the market. In theory, prices for older ones that are ineligible to renew will dive, while newer ones that are eligible for Red stickers will be bolstered.

I would certainly recommend considering the HOV sticker situation before buying a used EV in California. You don't want to have buyer's remorse on January 1st. Even if they don't matter for your commute, it will affect resale value down the road.

johnnylingo said:
Prices for used EVs have historically been a bit higher in California due to demand for HOV access stickers. The rules for those will change in 2019 and it'll be interesting to see what that does for the market. In theory, prices for older ones that are ineligible to renew will dive, while newer ones that are eligible for Red stickers will be bolstered.

I would certainly recommend considering the HOV sticker situation before buying a used EV in California. You don't want to have buyer's remorse on January 1st. Even if they don't matter for your commute, it will affect resale value down the road.

Thank you for bringing up the topic, I'm sure it will help others looking for a used i3 over the next six months. I purchased my used 2014 i3 in the Central Valley knowing the chances of it not being previously registered for Clean Air Decals were good. I'll be watching the prices for used i3 to see what happens.

Scott

davinci1490 said:
I found a 2015 BEV for $17,694 with 12kmiles on it. Is it a good deal? REX would be at least 2000 more with higher miles.

can you please share your experience with BEV and REX?

Thank you!!!

It depends a lot on the packages. With that price in CA, I'm guessing that year and the BEV model and that price would have one of the packages at most. Possibly the Driver's package and most likely not the wide screen. The deal you're looking for in CA for the best value is a 2015 REX with 20k miles for $20k with 2 of the 3 packages or $21k for fully loaded. This excludes all special editions or limited edition models. A BEV should be about $1,300 less.

The REX doesn't really cost that much more. But you may want to opt for the BEV simply to eliminate all the maintenance headaches of a gas car which is a big plus and big reason for getting an EV in the first place. Won't work for everyone, but if you can get away with it, BEV all the way.

Back