Will i3s wheels fit an i3 as the offsets seem to be the major difference

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitedug

Had a look at the new i3s and wondering if the i3s wheels would bolt on to an i3? I think they would.

The i3 wheels are 155/70R19 on a 5Jx19 rim with a 43mm offset from the outside of the rim.(ET43) or
for the 20’s - 155/60R20 on a 5Jx20 rim with the same 43mm offset

The i3s wheels are 175/55/20 on a 5.5Jx20 with a 33mm offset (ET33)
The fronts are the one with very tight clearance so moving the tire out 10mm at the centre would explain how they get the 20mm wider tire on.

Cannot find the spec of the rear for the i3s Rex but I’s imagine its the same just with a 10 wider offset.

Shame no aftermarket manufacturer makes the i3s wheel sizes but I’d imagine eventually someone will.

I think the i3s fenders are flared to accommodate the larger wheels. If so, then they probably wouldn't fit on an i3.
Now, if you could put the flared fenders on an i3......

Several i3 drivers have mounted wider 5.5" rear wheels and 175 mm tires on the front by using at least 10 mm spacers which would be equivalent to using an i3s wheel with 10 mm less offset.

Are i3s fenders the same as i3 fenders but with flares added? If so, there wouldn't be any risk of the wider 175 tires interfering with the fenders. I believe several i3 drivers have used spacers thicker than 10 mm when they mounted wider 5.5" rear wheels and 175 mm tires on the front, yet they haven't reported any tire-fender interference. The i3s flares might be mainly cosmetic but would also block dirty spray from the tires from coating the body panels.

FWIW, US (and probably international) safety requirements require some portion of the fender to protect those behind the vehicle from being bombarded by debris picked up by the tread of a tire...so, there is a specification on how much of the tire must be covered by the fenders...while the i3s fender flares may be cosmetic, they are probably also required to pass that safety requirement. The wider tire/fender is one reason why the i3s is not as efficient...higher drag and weight. Only you can decide if the cost/benefit ratio is viable.

Lol, Jim.

Anytime I visit the US, I regular see some vehicles with tyres wider than the fenders and no flares etc. Jeeps would be the worst, but have seen passenger cars the same.

Here in Australia would be banned pretty quickly for the reasons you mention.

Thanks all,
I’d say that they probably would bolt on fine based on the fact people are using spacers and getting away with that. (Spacers are illegal in most if not all states of Australia) I had a ok at the mudguards (fenders for us!) and I think they there is enough clearance not to protrude past the mudguards.
The hard part will be getting my hands on a set of i3s or aftermarket rims now.
Anyone know if a aftermarket manufacture makes them?

I33t said:
Lol, Jim.

Anytime I visit the US, I regular see some vehicles with tyres wider than the fenders and no flares etc. Jeeps would be the worst, but have seen passenger cars the same.

Here in Australia would be banned pretty quickly for the reasons you mention.
All the rules apply only to the manufacturers. Once a vehicle is sold its owner can do anything, nobody seems to care. Crazy suspension mods, ghetto HIDs and LEDs, multicolor lights, spiked lug nuts...

Many mods people do to their vehicles in the US are technically illegal, but the officials tend to disregard them unless they are looking for a reason to check in on someone.

WOnder how many windshields have been destroyed by these jerks...but, agree, the enforcement is almost non-existent. Stupid, IMHO, but that's what it is. Moving the wheel out also affects the alignment and stress on the bearings, if not designed for that. Probably the last thing the recipient of that missile is thinking of is the license plate of the one who caused it, so ramifications would be quite rare for the perpetrator.

About the i3s fender flairs, to me they look decorative. It's a piece of plastic over the exiting fender. I don't think there is any additional room inside the fender for the wider tire. And as they are about 1 mm thick. i guess that provides a little more protection from throwing up rocks etc, but not much.

Don't get me wrong, I like the look, I hope someone will offer them in the aftermarket.

whitedug said:
Had a look at the new i3s and wondering if the i3s wheels would bolt on to an i3? I think they would.

The i3 wheels are 155/70R19 on a 5Jx19 rim with a 43mm offset from the outside of the rim.(ET43) or
for the 20’s - 155/60R20 on a 5Jx20 rim with the same 43mm offset

The i3s wheels are 175/55/20 on a 5.5Jx20 with a 33mm offset (ET33)
The fronts are the one with very tight clearance so moving the tire out 10mm at the centre would explain how they get the 20mm wider tire on.

Cannot find the spec of the rear for the i3s Rex but I’s imagine its the same just with a 10 wider offset.

Shame no aftermarket manufacturer makes the i3s wheel sizes but I’d imagine eventually someone will.

The lack of availability of regular i3 rex tires makes me nervous, now that there is i3s; i guess those tires would be even more rare.

FWIW, I have stored a puncture repair kit in the frunk.

Hi guys, new proud owner of I3 60ah BEV...
I didn't want to start new topic since this one is very simular...

I calculated that if I use original 5 and 5.5 wheels and wanted to get track width of I3s I would need to put 16mm spacers in front and 20mm in back...

Next idea that I wanted to discus is putting I3s fender flares on my car... You can order them from BMW for approximately 400$(6 pieces). The problem is that I am not 100% sure that they would fit... I can find workaround for mounting but I need to be sure that the moulding fits...

Any experiences?

The lack of availability of regular i3 rex tires makes me nervous

Tirerack.com stocks them, and for my zip-code shows them as free-shipping, next-day delivery, listing 18 TR recommended installers within 5 miles of me, including one mobile installer who will come and do the install on-site.

ndelevic said:
Hi guys, new proud owner of I3 60ah BEV...
I didn't want to start new topic since this one is very simular...

I calculated that if I use original 5 and 5.5 wheels and wanted to get track width of I3s I would need to put 16mm spacers in front and 20mm in back...

Next idea that I wanted to discus is putting I3s fender flares on my car... You can order them from BMW for approximately 400$(6 pieces). The problem is that I am not 100% sure that they would fit... I can find workaround for mounting but I need to be sure that the moulding fits...

Any experiences?

You would need to get i3s fenders front and back. The i3s fenders have mounting holes for the flares. Just do it the right way. Sell your pre-LCI fenders so you can offset some of the cost of the new ones.

I've decided to order only one part to check whether I can mount it on original fenders by making mounting holes or using double sided tape( or something else). Also I will need to relocate parking sensor which isn't there on I3s... I'll keep you posted :D

ndelevic said:
I've decided to order only one part to check whether I can mount it on original fenders by making mounting holes or using double sided tape( or something else). Also I will need to relocate parking sensor which isn't there on I3s... I'll keep you posted :D

Yeah please do so and post pics! :D

Keep in mind that the fender flares will increase aerodynamic drag and reduce the efficiency of your i3. More so if you are driving at higher speeds, not so much for city driving.

Almost finished... Had to install parking sensor on front part of flare. Had to use glue since it is impossible to create oem mounts
Will post pics soon

Installed spacers and painted calipers in BMW i blue:

https://ibb.co/HYCBfqW

Here is how it looks with 16mm at the front and 20mm at the back

https://ibb.co/W300RWY

Back