How many of you have this "problem"

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graememwl

This is what most of my Efficiency pages look like.

I guess I suffer from PbFt... :D

NuYvl8WL_o.jpg

I think this means you accelerate poorly.

;)

PS My commuting efficiency numbers typically are in the 3.5 range. So you must be doing something right.

I think this mean you accelerate awesomely! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Seriously the car's evaluation of me is not my primary concern. As some people are replacing rear tires at 10K miles, I think other may be accelerating awesomely as well.

Four months in, I've mostly stopped looking at those stats every day. Sometimes I can be super-careful and score a 2.5 or 3. Other times, I'm not thinking about it at all and get a 4 or 4.5. Here in Phoenix, almost every trip involves some high-speed freeway driving, so my acceleration numbers are always 1 or 2 stars, even if I stay in the right lane and put the cruise on just above the speed limit. I'll likely never see a 5.

And major peeve with the app. Say you're doing an across town trip where you really would want to see your stats. Say you drive from your home, across town 30 miles, then stop for a coffee. After your coffee, you continue another 3 miles to your final destination. You open the app to check your stats -- and they're only for that last, 3 mile leg, with no way to see previous trip stats. I've used the feedback option in the app to ask them to address this.

Phoenix driver also: I've made it on 80 mile roundtrip a few times but that was commuting from Surprise into Tempe going down thunderbird/shea /Kyrene; Took me 1.5- 2 hours but I did it on a single charge. Now that I'm on the highway, I start off at 70mi and reach work at 18-29mi. I'll EVGo fast charger for about 5min during lunch hour just to top it at about 40-45mi for my drive home.

Is it possible to obtain roundtrip commute of 45-52 on highway speeds without using the extender?

My latest trip gave me a whopping 1.5

I had the heater and seats on as well as preconditioning without being plugged in. Lots of stopping and accelerating :) too.

cyr21k said:
Phoenix driver also: I've made it on 80 mile roundtrip a few times but that was commuting from Surprise into Tempe going down thunderbird/shea /Kyrene; Took me 1.5- 2 hours but I did it on a single charge. Now that I'm on the highway, I start off at 70mi and reach work at 18-29mi. I'll EVGo fast charger for about 5min during lunch hour just to top it at about 40-45mi for my drive home.

Is it possible to obtain roundtrip commute of 45-52 on highway speeds without using the extender?

Phoenix driver here! Just bought a 2016 preowned from Chapman BMW that I’m picking up on Wednesday. My commute is going to be about 25 miles from 19th Ave and Bell to the 51, then south to Tempe. It’s concerning that the miles drop so significantly on the highway! I can charge from a 110 while at work for my 8 hour work day, but should I be concerned about range on my commute?

Hey there, happy to know I'm not alone with my Energy-efficient project. Lol. You will be fine my friend. I've only had mine for 31days so its still pretty new to me. The great thing however, 2016 is the year for the 1st battery upgrade. I was locked into my 2015 before finding this out so your range will do much better. Once you begin driving, the car will teach you how to maneuver efficiently so much that you're find yourself trying to beat the day before "Scores". IT'S ENERGY. You'll be surprised how often the car will restore "Miles" just because you followed the rules. My 2015 EV range is 80miles. During the 30days of city driving, I've adopted the I3 technique which makes it possible to make it home (45miles) on a range of 28mi or so. You're be fine. Highway miles could be a bit challenging due to high speeds and I just recently began driving I-10 5days ago after realizing the flow isn't always 70+. If I leave 303 and Bell on 60-70 range, I would make it to I-10 and Elliot with 27-30 mile left over. The key is acceleration and coasting and the car will train you how to achieve this. I could easily take city route home on the remaining 28miles because with my extender would kick in at 6-9 miles. I enjoy highway driving/carpool so Ill top off for about 6 min at lunch(fast charger) giving me about 40-50 range .

cyr21k said:
The great thing however, 2016 is the year for the 1st battery upgrade.
Actually, the 2017 model year was when the battery pack capacity increased from 60 Ah to 94Ah, so a 2016 i3 will have the same range as the original i3.

Once you get the timing down, you'll rarely need the actual brakes. This maximizes the amount of regen you get. Just like driving an ICE, using brakes at the last moment wastes energy. Luckily, unlike an ICE that isn't as efficient during acceleration, it doesn't have as much effect on an EV. Steady speeds, though are optimum for any type of vehicle to maximize range. Community average, as shown in the app, runs about 4 miles/kw. It will be less when you need lots of heating for defrost or comfort. If you use the high beams a lot, they are the least efficient bulbs on the car (at least for most models as they're halogen versus LEDs). The REx's resistance heating is much less efficient than the BEV's heat pump until it's really cold, and it has to revert to its backup resistance heater as well.

The only real figures that matter are the Mi/KWh used and Mi/KWh regenerated - I have gotten 1 star averaging 5.3 and 25(ish) on regen.

Pretty hard to take the stars seriously with those numbers.

jack1024 said:
The only real figures that matter are the Mi/KWh used and Mi/KWh regenerated - I have gotten 1 star averaging 5.3 and 25(ish) on regen.

Pretty hard to take the stars seriously with those numbers.
It's tricky. The most efficient driving which should result in the highest number of stars (theoretically) is minimizing regeneration while maximizing coasting when decelerating. This would result in a very high mi/kWh of regen. However, maximizing the use of friction brakes while decelerating would also result in a high mi/kWh of regen, but this would result in inefficient driving.

That said, during my 11 mile moderate speed suburban drive in Eco Pro under ACC yesterday in mid-70's weather with some headwinds without climate control, my electrical consumption was 5.3 mi/kWh and recuperation was 20.7 kWh with all efficiency categories rated at 5 stars. So your 1-star rating with very similar efficiency numbers seems unreasonable.

That's not the "problem" I'm having currently...

Currently I'm dealing with the recuperation energy of +60mi/kwh for a driving distance of usually 10-20mi :eek: :lol:

Back