extended use w/o charge/Long term parking

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfdureiko

couple of questions,,,,,,,,,let's say I have no access to electric, will the car be able to keep going for say 10 days on gas only? (ie will it keep the 12v sufficiantly charged.... also, considering a 10 day trip if the car is in long term parking with say half charge,,,,will it last that long without completely going dead
on a side note, the owners manual on my '14 Volt was very explicit in describing all the systems and how they worked,,,,,,,,,the i3 manual keeps alot of that a mystery.....

dfdureiko said:
let's say I have no access to electric, will the car be able to keep going for say 10 days on gas only? (ie will it keep the 12v sufficiantly charged....
As long as the REx engine has fuel and you don't operate the car under conditions that would discharge the battery pack to below an indicated ~3% charge level, your i3 would continue operating normally.

The 12 V battery is charged by the Li-ion battery pack. As long as the Li-ion battery pack's indicated charge level is >0%, the 12 V battery will be charged when the car is in the Ready state (i.e., drive readiness mode).

dfdureiko said:
also, considering a 10 day trip if the car is in long term parking with say half charge,,,,will it last that long without completely going dead
The battery pack loses very little charge when parked (~1%/month) assuming that battery pack preconditioning isn't enabled. We have stored our i3 twice for 6 and 9 months and noticed almost no loss of battery pack charge.

However, the 12 V battery is being discharged continuously by the burglar alarm, the keyless entry system, etc., so it could be discharged so low that an i3 could not enter drive readiness mode if parked for too long. Depending on the 12 V battery's health, it should not discharge too far after an i3 is parked for a month, so 10 days should not cause a problem.

dfdureiko said:
on a side note, the owners manual on my '14 Volt was very explicit in describing all the systems and how they worked,,,,,,,,,the i3 manual keeps alot of that a mystery.....
I've never had a more poorly written and translated owner's manual.

As some one said, run the AC Climate control remotely once via the App . That should charge the 12 volt at the expense of Hi voltage battery.

I guess you can program departure time once a week with pre conditioning on. That should also charge the 12 volt battery till the time the AC is on for 30 mins.
If this is not the case, anyone please jump in.

Back