Rex air filter?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Law12855

Just picked up a 2014 i3 w rex and planning on performing the standard 2 year service myself. Oil change, brake fluid and cabin filter... My gut tells me the REX should have an air filter as well, no?
Anyone have any info on it? Google search was not too helpful.
Thanks!

Yes the REX has a air filter. I tried to look for it and it looks like you must remove the bumper? from what the guy at BMW said it a PITA to get too. Dont know if I believe him.......

I went to see if I could find a guide to swapping the air filter without much luck. I'm fairly sure the air filter is in that box under #4 in picture 5/6 in this guide for removing the air intake plenum. It almost looks like the box should open from below on the right hand side in the photos. I might take the cover off and see what this actually looks like in real life.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/...tion-control/13-71-intake-silencer/1VnZBT4nSC

Edit!
On page 35 of the Rex W20 engine document you can see the air intake system, it states that the air cleaner halves are sealed and it is not a planned serviceable part...
https://attachments.priuschat.com/attachment-files/2016/07/108943_12_W20-Engine.pdf

On the BMW Scooter using the same engine, first air filter change is listed at 12,000 miles, and it runs at much higher RPM and is exposed to much more road-dust etc, than what the same engine is limited to in the i3 - both RPM wise, and dust-wise. I would guess three or four times at least the "mileage" for the Rex-based scooter engine before a filter change was even indicated - which for average owners would be several hundred thousand miles of actual car mileage. On mine, I have 11,000 miles on the car, of which 300 miles was running on the Rex. So basically looks like the air filter is a none-serviceable item, because BMW expects it to last the life of the car.

Back