Low beam and high beam maintenance error

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coban33

Hello,

Every time I turn on lights (low beam or high beam as DRL are always on, I get error low beam and high beam maintenance error. Low Beams go on for 2-3 seconds and left one just shuts down and give me an error. High beam goes on and stay on but also will give an error. I tried different obd readers including Foxwell NT510 that is specific for BMW and it will give me some stupid error related to my back up camera. Did anybody else got this problem or error message? Do you know of OBD reader that will be able to scan the car and give me right error code? Thank you

Do the lights actually illuminate? Did you swap the high beams for LED bulbs verses the halogens? There shouldn't be any corrosion on the plug/pins, but that would be fairly easy to check.

Almost all i3's sold in the USA have LED low beams and halogen high beams, but if you have halogens for the low beams...you might need new bulbs. The LEDs should last longer than the car, but they can fail, too.

Low beam are LED and I never change them.... Both LED low beams will illuminated and after couple of seconds left one will just turn off and give me that error message that low beam and high beam are malfunctioning.

High beam are standard one that came with car and I never change them. Same thing for them also, when I switch them on they will illuminate but both will stay on and either way it will display error message...high beam malfunction.

Weird thing is when I power on vehicle error will not display, only if is turn on low beam or high beam. Another weird thing is that is it’s giving me and error that high beam are malfunctioning but they are working fine.

There might be some “connection” between them as when you power on low beam it will diplsay error that low and high beams are malfunctioning even high beams are not on.

THe LED low beams have a self-leveling system...it may be related to that. FIrst thing I'd look at though, if not under warranty any more, would be to ensure all of the connections are tight and the contacts are clean.

Back