Newbie Question - Finding miles used with ReX !

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are actually looking at JavaScript variables. From the efficiency page, use the "Developer Tools" feature of your web browser, to inspect the variables.

tman66 said:
What’s the web connected drive URL that you’re using to see these “hidden” stats?
What's available may depend a lot on which country you're in. That information is from the US website www.bmwusa.com , then, you log into your connected drive account (which differs country to country - it's not a BMW worldwide thing). If you don't have your vehicle registered in the US, you'd have to try to see if it's available in yours.

FWIW, I check mine, and it said 17.92 not all that bad after 4.5 years.

tman66 said:
What’s the web connected drive URL that you’re using to see these “hidden” stats?

Since I am in the UK.....

https://www.bmw-connecteddrive.co.uk/

You need to have registered with the site.

Cheers, Finchie

jadnashuanh said:
tman66 said:
What's available may depend a lot on which country you're in. That information is from the US website http://www.bmwusa.com , then, you log into your connected drive account (which differs country to country - it's not a BMW worldwide thing). If you don't have your vehicle registered in the US, you'd have to try to see if it's available in yours.

FWIW, I check mine, and it said 17.92 not all that bad after 4.5 years.

Apparently Canadian i3 owners don’t have the same access. I’m working with BMW connected drive support to figure out why I don’t have access to Remote Cockpit via the web portal. At least for me, there’s no efficiency page or similar available. Not sure if it’s due to my 2014 MY i3. It’s taking awhile as they aren’t exactly prompt with their replies via email.

In some markets, you may also need to pay for the remote connectivity. Each market decides on their selling price, 'basic' configuration and option choices, and included maintenance provisions. It seems that Canada chose to not include the TPMS, but rely on logic to detect a low tire pressure by rotation comparisons, for example.

MKH said:
It would need to be in "hours of operation" , not mileage, as the Rex doesn't drive the car's wheels, it powers an electric generator to add charge to the car's battery pack, to extend the car's range.
TheMK said:
There is an hour meter in the REx*. I'm not sure how to access it- perhaps through ISTA.
*Page 59 of the W20 engine service manual

So my suspicions were confirmed correct, there is indeed an hourmeter (actually it counts seconds but..). It also gives you the number of start-stop cycles, as well as the kilometers driven while it was 'on'.

IMG_8224.JPG

I have about 1,412 miles on the REx (sounds about right). and an operating period of about 40 hours.

tman66 said:
I heard back from BMW Canada with the reply "Remote Cockpit will not be available in Canada until next year".

It took me a while and a lot of back and forth with the original dealership from California (my 2015 Rex came from San Raphael BMW) to get mine working with the remote apps. Recently the remote/connected app became available in Canada. I am using it all the time and it works great.

In my case, the sim card built into the car was already registered until Dec 2019 (initial 4 years) so I just had to transfer my info onto the active registration and it works. I also had to provide a US address to make this work. I have a colleague in Washington state that helped me out with address. Once the current subscription runs out, I can go to any dealership and have it reactivated. If your I3 is a Canadian car, you should be able to get the app and start using it.

Recently the Canadian Apple store added the BMW connected app which has the remote and a bunch of other services all in one app. I am not too sure about Android as I have an iphone.

rtanov said:
This is good information, thanks for posting! Wondering if Bimmercode could read this? I have ISTA but Bimmercode seems easier to work with.

Bimmercode certainly has the communication framework to read the data, however I do not believe that the developer(s) have implemented such functionality. You could write to them and see if they would be willing to implement this functionality, but my guess is they'll say it's out of the scope of the program, citing E-SYS vs ISTA.

To those of you that want to read the data in ISTA:
1. Connect the car via ENET or ICOM.
2. Run the basic "vehicle test"
3. In the ECU tree, select the `EDME' ECU.
4. Click on the "Call up ECU Functions" button.
5. Go to diagnosis scan tab, select "Operating Time Range Extender", then click read state.

Nice to know. It was ~17.4 in the spring and now its 14.61!!

var comp_soc = '14.61 ';
var comp_socMax = '16.88';

This for some reason seems to align with the lower 50ish range I am getting lately. Can someone tell if its because of colder weather ( ~50F) ?

Back