How do you run the heating or radio without starting the car?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can use the radio by pressing on the radio volume knob. To turn the climate control on you do need to press "start stop", or I guess you could use the BMW Connected app to start that. Once you have turned on accessories mode with the start stop button, you can go to settings -> Climate -> Activate comfort climate control, after doing that you can press the start stop button again to turn off the accessories mode, and the climate will continue to run.

So it does - I'm sure the radio never used to work.
The heating option Is a bit of a faff but good to know. Used to be a single button on my old 3 series.

Thanks

When you shut the car off, one of the menu choice options is to continue to run the cabin conditioning. If selected, things will continue for about 30-minutes. Other than that, you need to either set a departure time or request immediate conditioning from the app, or set it up in the car's menu while it's still on. the radio will shut itself off, but you can just hit the button again, and it will turn back on and run for its timed cycle again.

Your old 3-series didn't have a resistance heater or electric compressor, so if it gave you any heat or cooling, it was whatever residual was there from when you last ran it.

Note, on the REx version, any heat comes from resistance heaters which can make a fair dent in your battery capacity. the BEV version has a heat pump and resistance heating as a backup, but the REx version does not. The BEV is thus more efficient. that, and the combination that the REx is heavier is the primary reason why the REx isn't as efficient as the BEV.

Back