louisgrenier

Re: Bimmercode hold state of charge.

Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:26 am

sipabit wrote:whether the car will return from gas back to electricity ones the gas is out. This scenario would be the opposite of what the car is "supposed" to do. Normally, it runs out of electricity and goes to gas. I'm wondering if the reverse would happen if there's still loads of electricity left.

There is no such thing as "back to the electricity", or "back to the battery". Like explained by others, it always takes the power (energy) from the battery. REX running or not. So you don't have to fear to be stuck without power in the scenario you describe. As long you have energy in the battery. The REX will only help to maintained the battery level. So don't fear the i3 to stop when the REX will stop. There is no such thing as switching the power source from the REX to the battery. Or vice versa. Power comes from the battery , REX running or not.

Louis

Mehdi

Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:51 am

Is it possible to actually "raise" the state of charge? For example, if I am at 50% battery charge, could I somehow make the extender to keep charging the battery, say up to 75%?

alohart

Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:00 pm

Mehdi wrote:Is it possible to actually "raise" the state of charge? For example, if I am at 50% battery charge, could I somehow make the extender to keep charging the battery, say up to 75%?

I have not read of anyone discovering what needs to be done to make this possible.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

jadnashuanh

Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:04 pm

Mehdi wrote:Is it possible to actually "raise" the state of charge? For example, if I am at 50% battery charge, could I somehow make the extender to keep charging the battery, say up to 75%?

Considering the HP output of the REx, which is often not able to keep up with holding the charge if you're climbing a hill or traveling fast, I doubt it would work, or if it did, it wouldn't very often. Vehicles that CAN do it all have a much a larger engine and gas tank. It has about the power of one of the first VW bugs...IOW, not a lot.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

Mehdi

Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:43 am

I find that, except for cold nights in the winter or a long uphill drive, the REX is more than capable of charging the battery to a higher level than it is but it is set to not do that. I did however read someone saying that it is possible to put the car in emission test mode and that would cause the battery to be charged to a higher level. This means the car has to be parked, the lift gate has to be open and this can be done only for 20 minutes at a time. But at least it is an option.
Last edited by Mehdi on Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jadnashuanh

Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:09 pm

It all depends on your driving style, primarily speed, but lights, heating, and grades take more power and stop and go with rapid acceleration is a factor. The motor can draw up to 126Kw (that's approximately the conversion of 170Hp), which is like nearly 4x what the REx can put out not counting the other things drawing power in the car. Certainly, you're not doing that constantly, but in stop and go, the regen is not perfect, and the REx would have a problem at times. Freeway driving with traffic at 70-80mph with the lights, heat, (or a/c) will put it right on the edge or over capacity.

If BMW wanted the car to be a no-nonsense replacement for an ICE, in this hybrid, they would have supplied a larger engine and gas tank. that they didn't should mean something to people if they think about it. It was made as a city car. Drive it to work or shopping, charge if needed, then drive it home and charge it up. The REx was an emergency backup in case you miscalculated. that you can use it for longer trips is sort of a secondary, somewhat limited benefit, but it has compromises.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

Return to “BMW i3 Rex Specific Discussions”