Finchie

Re: Next model after 120ah i3

Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:17 am

Tobias wrote:At my local BMW dealer last week, I mentioned to the service agent that I was considering changing my 94ah REX for the new 120ah model, which here in the UK no longer has the REX option. She said that she had heard BMW is phasing out the REX altogether in 2019 and that the 120ah is a stop gap while they re-engineer to use the engine space for yet more battery capacity.

Any truth in this?

Just in Europe...
https://www.bmwblog.com/2018/10/04/bmw- ... in-the-us/

I also read somewhere that it is also due to the cost of meeting European emissions test - didn’t make business sense based in the volume sold. Can’t find that link though.

Cheers, Finchie

jadnashuanh

Re: Next model after 120ah i3

Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:12 pm

Read somewhere that the i3 sales are still growing, not something you generally see with an aging platform that 'needs' update or replacement. Now, you can easily consider larger batteries as an update, but the body and interior have not substantially changed since inception, which isn't typical. Like the Energizer bunny...it just keeps going and going.

I don't see any good reason to replace mine for my use pattern that may continue for quite awhile longer.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

Return to “News and Main BMW i3 Forum Discussions”