Trip meter / odometer mile change discrepancy.

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drivesafe

:shock:

At the last even thousand, I reset the trip meter. On my commute today noticed something very peculiar: trip meter seems to be counting off miles consistently, but odometer is super inconsistent from one mile to the next (although self correcting, matches trip meter within a mile at all times).

Check this out in the video here - https://youtu.be/9wy_hG8bsnI

Odo changes to 29349 at trip 349.1,
Odo changes to 29350 at trip 350.4 - 1.3 miles later;
Odo changes to 29351 at trip 351.0 - mere 0.6 miles later.

Has anyone else noticed this? Why might that be? Is it a cause for concern?

With almost all of the world except the U.S. having standardized on kilometers, I'm guessing that the i3's odometers measure kilometers natively with software that converts from kilometers to miles for those few countries stuck in the past. I'm guessing that rounding errors in the conversion might account for the inconsistencies that you have noticed.

My guess is Art is fairly accurate in how it measures things. Since speedos can vary a bit from the actual speed (by ± 2-3mi ) I always considered the odometer to be a "fairly accurate estimate". In iDrive you can change the units to be kilometers. which changes the odometer to be in km, as well as (almost) everything else. You then get a little thing underneath the large speed readout (which is now in km) that gives you current MPH. I've never had a car where such integral things could be set to display in kilometers before, so I was a little surprised when changing the units to kilometers changed far more than just the speedometer readout. Most digital speedos have a button to switch between km/h and MPH, so you can drive into Canada without issues.

I think it is rounding !

Let’s say your trip started when it was 29,349.4 (displayed as 29,349)

That would move to 29,350 when your trip said 0.6 etc etc...

You can figure out the exact distance on the odometer by looking at the trip. So if the odo changed when the trip said 0.7, the odometer was at 29,349.3. Keep your eyes on the road tho’ :D :D

Boom !

Alohart, over the pond we are still miles, but have at least made the transition to Celsius vs Fahrenheit. Kilograms are becoming common (but I still think in stone). We are still a long way off from kilometres ! No rush !!!

Cheers, Finchie

Back