Converting I3 from US CCS to EU CCS

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M3I3AllTheSameRight

I've poured over all the parts diagrams and the relevant parts seem the same minus the cable that the charge port is part of (61 12 6 828 091 for the Type 2 CCS). Does anyone know if there is software that would prevent swapping that cable and the associated trim? I'd like to be able to fast charge my I3 while temporarily (2 years) in Europe.

Did you have any success with the charger update?

I’m hoping to upgrade my UK model BEV to add the DC fast-charge socket. it only has the single type 2 socket now.

Having worked on other parts of the car, I noticed BMW seems to leave the wiring for component options in the car’s loom, but the wires are cut or capped/terminated.

Where did you find the parts-list or component diagrams, from BMW or is it available online?

I can get the parts from breakers on eBay, we have a 2017 ReX too, so I can compare the assembly.

My guess is the software (firmware), won’t be any different. It wouldn’t make commercial sense to have different software versions for each model’s option list.

Just got my BMW i3 2015 from US to Sweden and really need help to find out the following

- Navigation date so _I can see Sweden
- Connected Drive I had a full subscription in US how can I get it to work here or what do I need to buy to fix it.
- Most important how can I convert my charging inlet to support local chargers and where can I buy a "Swedish" charger that will work
- Will I be able to get back my function with getting speed limit signs in my display?
- Does my radio work here or what do I need to do....

Very grateful for all replies/help!

Best regards

Mikael

Do you have any updates on this? I'm really curious about how you were able to solve your issues, as I'm facing with the same obstacles. Thanks!

msbergman62 said:
Just got my BMW i3 2015 from US to Sweden and really need help to find out the following

- Connected Drive I had a full subscription in US how can I get it to work here or what do I need to buy to fix it.
- Most important how can I convert my charging inlet to support local chargers and where can I buy a "Swedish" charger that will work
- Will I be able to get back my function with getting speed limit signs in my display?

Very grateful for all replies/help!

Best regards

Mikael
Sorry about the late response.
YOu can change the nav data yourself, which would require buying a new FSC code and downloading the data (huge files). Search the installation procedure, but it's fairly simple.
No idea on the connected drive...not sure the SIM card is compatible or that the frequencies used are the same. THere are some that are common across the world, but not positive.
It probably won't be cheap, but as far as I'm aware, the actual protocol on charging is the same, so you would need the new cable/port installed. No idea on how hard that would be.
The speed limit data is embedded in the nav data, and augmented by the camera, but may not be looking for the sign shape in Europe verses those in the USA. Probably will work with new nav data for your area once it has that local data installed.
FM radio frequency assignments use a different spacing in Europe than the USA. That can be changed by coding. Some radio frequency channels will align, but the steps between them are different, and there may not be a station on those that do.

I don't think that most of the EVSEs are frequency dependent (50/60Hz), so a US one, at least in your home, probably could be installed but obviously wouldn't help if you needed to charge away from home.

You might be able to make a plug conversion cable with a US style plug on one end, and a Euro style socket on on the other.

msbergman62 said:
I imported my 2015 BEV from the US to Ukraine, did some stuff you refer to:
- Installed Europe 2018-2 Next maps, work well. You could search the FB group for the links. The FSC code could be either purchased or generated using an OBD2 cable and a PC with E-Sys app, you could google for instructions.
- Failed to make the ConnectedDrive work, I think the SIM card must be tethered to a US mobile operator. You could consider replacing a TCB module for a European one, your local BMW dealer could help with this. I’m not doing it since it appears that the service is not available in my country at all.
- I changed the plug of the occasional use charger to the EU one, modified it so that it works at 220v, have up to 3.5 kW now at 16A. Don’t have access to fast charging, we have CCS type 2 combo plugs here.
- Can’t make the road signs to be detected despite the Navi is operational, Ukrainian maps being very detailed.
- I coded the following to expand the FM frequency range, now works well:
Changed two values in HU_NBT>3002 AUDIO_TUNER_TRAFFIC
RADIO_COUNTRY to ECE and
FM_DEEMPHASIS to 50us
I used Bimmercode and a Bluetooth OBD2 adapter for this purpose, coded lots of other stuff as well.

Hello, I would like to revive rear Fog Light. Do anybody know how to do it. I was open my light selector panel and see no microchip near fog light button
Will it be work if i put Light selector from other BMW?

First, you need the switch panel that includes the rear fog lights. THen, you need to code the car to recognize the different switch. FWIW, it's my understanding that all of the rear hatches contain the fog lights, but some places do not offer the switch as an option. On my GT, the rear fog lights just worked once I swapped the switch panel, but I'm told the i3 requires coding as well to enable them.

Constantin said:
Is it possible to programming any other button to swith on/off the fog light?
Most of the switches in a BMW don't actually switch things...the computer gets a request, and it does it after getting the requisite message.

My understanding is that a switch action creates a specific CANBUS message that the computer then executes. I'm not positive, but I don't think you can program the messages produced, only (in some cases) the computer may have a set of responses you can select from by 'coding'. You do not have access to the actual firmware to tell it to do what you want.

I'm not positive, but that's what I've seen from what I've played with.

Oleksiy said:
msbergman62 said:
I imported my 2015 BEV from the US to Ukraine, did some stuff you refer to:
- Installed Europe 2018-2 Next maps, work well. You could search the FB group for the links. The FSC code could be either purchased or generated using an OBD2 cable and a PC with E-Sys app, you could google for instructions.
- Failed to make the ConnectedDrive work, I think the SIM card must be tethered to a US mobile operator. You could consider replacing a TCB module for a European one, your local BMW dealer could help with this. I’m not doing it since it appears that the service is not available in my country at all.
- I changed the plug of the occasional use charger to the EU one, modified it so that it works at 220v, have up to 3.5 kW now at 16A. Don’t have access to fast charging, we have CCS type 2 combo plugs here.
- Can’t make the road signs to be detected despite the Navi is operational, Ukrainian maps being very detailed.
- I coded the following to expand the FM frequency range, now works well:
Changed two values in HU_NBT>3002 AUDIO_TUNER_TRAFFIC
RADIO_COUNTRY to ECE and
FM_DEEMPHASIS to 50us
I used Bimmercode and a Bluetooth OBD2 adapter for this purpose, coded lots of other stuff as well.

I've done what you have, changed an american bmw i3 to eu plug. I'm stuck though on how to get the car to recognize the eu plug???? Could you expend on what you did to make the EU socket be recognized in the i3?

coho said:
I've done what you have, changed an american bmw i3 to eu plug. I'm stuck though on how to get the car to recognize the eu plug???? Could you expend on what you did to make the EU socket be recognized in the i3?

It's my understanding that the logic of the charging protocol between the US and the Euro is identical...the difference is in the plug. IOW, it should just work. I've not had occasion to try, so have no practical experience. Europe wanted a mechanical shutter in the plug in case the logic left power applied. The US plug does not have a mechanical shutter, and just relies on the interlocks (that I think are also in the Euro plug).

Correct, it should just work. On top of the plug replacement, my OUC was modified to accept 220V instead of 120V, I'm not aware of the technical details though, it's a standard procedure.

I thought so too, but I've found it isn't working. The problem is the CS or PP wire. On the type 2 it seems to have a different job compared to the Type 1 CS wire. More reading required... To get it working I've modified an adapter Type 1 to Type 2 cable to go straight thru regarding the PP wire.

The car also needs to be coded to tell it that it now uses the Type2 plug. The car reads the CS/PP wire differently as a type2.

Anyone is able to give us details for ccs1 to ccs2 conversion process?

Steps for swapping sockets.

Steps for coding ccs2 port

Back