ISTA-D for BMW I3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bopjensen

Hi

I need to diagnose my I3 and also recalibrate my fuel pressure sensor.

Does any one know if the "normal" ISTA-D software is compatible with BMW I3 and does anyone know a cable that works well with the I3?

Best regards Bo

bopjensen said:
Hi

I need to diagnose my I3 and also recalibrate my fuel pressure sensor.

Does any one know if the "normal" ISTA-D software is compatible with BMW I3 and does anyone know a cable that works well with the I3?

Best regards Bo
I installed ISTA-D. At least some functions work with an Ethernet to OBDII cable. I have no previous experience and don't know what to expect. I think you need to have ICOM to access all features.
I wanted to monitor the battery health, couldn't really see much.
Any ISTA experts here?

The i3 is new enough that an ENET cable should get you 99% of ISTA's functionality.

Here's the big things that ISTA does:
1. Read out vehicle data
2. Read out stored faults
3. Perform service functions (range extender start, sensor calibration, etc.)
4. Program the vehicle's ECUs (You can update the vehicles I-LEVEL with ISTA) <- This one requires an ICOM
5. Read technical information, such as wiring diagrams, repair instructions, part layout diagrams.

Some of the repair procedure walkthroughs assume you have an IMIB (A measuring box that plugs back into your ISTA computer), and will give up when it can't find that box.

I'm not sure what data you're trying to look for in particular, but the way to read out most basic data is to go to the ECU tree, click on an ECU, click "Call Up ECU Functions", and then go to the diagnosis scan tab in the new window. You can then select what data you want to read, and then read it out. I think one of the more useful data readouts here is the Range Extender operating time, where you can see how many seconds/hours are on it, as well as how many kilometers you drove with it.

I wanted to see what battery data is available. I found only rudimentary info- SOC, voltage, temperature and the voltage delta between the highest and lowest cells. Not even the Batt. Max Kappa accessible through the hidden menu. My Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid has hundreds of data points, including cumulative charge and discharge kwh, historical temperature extremes, number of the contactor cycles and so on.

chipping in with a question...
I’m attempting to recalibrate the steering angle sensor because it’s sending wrong info to the yaw sensor and DCS module.
My car has 7x18” wheels and is 20mm lowered.
The car handles better than the DCS can predict when it should be crashing because it can achieve higher Gs in fast cornering.
Ideally the DCS could be re-educated to kick in later. But I’d be happy with disableing DCS so i can race in hill-climb events.

Hi
I found the SW and bought a cable on eBay.de
According to the manufacturer og the cable, the i3 works Best with the Ethernet version og the cable.
I Got the presser sensor recalibrated and everything works fine again.
Best regards Bo

KolorMeCarbon said:
chipping in with a question...
I’m attempting to recalibrate the steering angle sensor because it’s sending wrong info to the yaw sensor and DCS module.
My car has 7x18” wheels and is 20mm lowered.
The car handles better than the DCS can predict when it should be crashing because it can achieve higher Gs in fast cornering.
Ideally the DCS could be re-educated to kick in later. But I’d be happy with disableing DCS so i can race in hill-climb events.

How did you get 7x18's on the car? and lower it by 20mm? I am very intrigued because I am sure it goes a long way towards fixing the handling, which is my biggest complaint with the car.

Sorry I only just saw the question. the specs are in this post: http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&p=47704#p47704

Back