Converting BMW 2002 to electric using i3 parts

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i3to2002

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster on here.

I've recently bought both a BMW 2002 from 1974 and a BMW i3 from 2016 that has been in a small-ish head on collision. My plan is to take the electric drivetrain, and as many auxiliaries as possible, from the i3 and transplant them into the 2002 in the hope of creating a really cool electric city car.

There is an enormous list of questions I have about the i3, but the main thing I'm focussed on right now is getting it running whilst it's still in one piece. The i3's airbags have deployed, the seatbelt restraints (I think also pyro) have deployed and the pyro charge on the 12v battery has fired (fixed). I think this has caused the ACSM to power down the high voltage system giving an error on the instrument cluster 'stop carefully, it is not possible to continue your journey'.

At the moment, the OBD port can't be read because the high voltage system is powered down so the OBD reader thinks the ignition is off.

My theory right now is that if I figure out how to bypass the airbag and seatbelt sensors, the ACSM will read the car as 'OK' and power the high voltage system back up.

Does anyone have any more thoughts on what could be causing the drivetrain to shutdown or what other sensors the ACSM reads?

Thanks in advance for any contributions!

Tom

Not sure exactly how the crash sensor shuts down the high voltage system, but it may just "pop" the manual disconnect, which is under the right panel under the hood. See the description on using the discontent on the "crash-card" for first responders.

https://www.bmw.ca/content/dam/bmw/marketCA/bmw_ca/PDF/Legal/en_I01_ab_2015.pdf.asset.1490303493952.pdf

That sounds like a challenging project. How the battery will fit in the 2002?
Check this thread, it has links to the best available technical information: http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5444

MKH said:
Not sure exactly how the crash sensor shuts down the high voltage system, but it may just "pop" the manual disconnect, which is under the right panel under the hood. See the description on using the discontent on the "crash-card" for first responders.

https://www.bmw.ca/content/dam/bmw/marketCA/bmw_ca/PDF/Legal/en_I01_ab_2015.pdf.asset.1490303493952.pdf

That's interesting, not seen that before. Just checked and my i3 doesn't have the manual cutoff under the charge port door. I assume this is a US requirement (I'm in the UK).

I got the crash sensor info from the repair manual "Two lines from the ACSM for the signal for the quick shutdown of the high-voltage system in the event of an accident of corresponding severity".

I suppose that could just be referring to the pyro charge on the 12v battery though as that is the only physical thing I know of that shuts down the high voltage components.

gt1 said:
Check this thread, it has links to the best available technical information: http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5444

I'm hoping to the put the motor/gearbox/inverter in the back and the batteries in the front.

That is a really useful link though, thanks!

I hate to be a "negative Nancy" but that's a quite challenging project. As you probably know, a 2002 can be a collector car. You might want to restore the 2002, sell it, and buy a new i3. Just a thought.

There are some very interesting EV conversions done to the aircooled VW's. There is a company in California that has a kit.

http://www.evwest.com

These kits are designed for the simplicity of the old cars using some off-the-shelf components. Where as using the purpose made components in the i3 may prove challenging to fit into the old BMW.

Either way, it is sounds like a cool project!

i3to2002 said:
gt1 said:

I'm hoping to the put the motor/gearbox/inverter in the back and the batteries in the front.

The battery is a large flat box. It is designed to go under the passenger compartment. In theory it is possible to reassemble the cells in a different shape, but you'll need to redesign the cooling system.

That's interesting, not seen that before. Just checked and my i3 doesn't have the manual cutoff under the charge port door

What about the cut off under the bonnet panel??

As I understand it, there's a pyrotechnic charge that disconnects the HV system in a crash. The manual disconnect is used during some service operations. Someone posted the service section here that shows where and how to do it. IT's not something a typical owner would need to access, but if you wanted to , say, replace the 12vdc battery, you should first disconnect the HV.

theothertom said:
I hate to be a "negative Nancy" but that's a quite challenging project. As you probably know, a 2002 can be a collector car. You might want to restore the 2002, sell it, and buy a new i3. Just a thought.

That's the spirit! Jeez...

gt1 said:
i3to2002 said:
gt1 said:

The battery is a large flat box. It is designed to go under the passenger compartment. In theory it is possible to reassemble the cells in a different shape, but you'll need to redesign the cooling system.

That's the plan!

MKH said:
That's interesting, not seen that before. Just checked and my i3 doesn't have the manual cutoff under the charge port door

I've replaced the 12v battery and fixed the pyro connection, reconnected the service cutoff in the front trunk to no avail. I think there might be another cutoff somewhere between the HV battery and the inverter/motor (Terminal 30??). I'm getting the car up on a lift so I can trace the power line soon.

I think I'll also need to clear all the crash codes etc from the crash module.

i3to2002 said:
MKH said:

I've replaced the 12v battery and fixed the pyro connection, reconnected the service cutoff in the front trunk to no avail. I think there might be another cutoff somewhere between the HV battery and the inverter/motor (Terminal 30??). I'm getting the car up on a lift so I can trace the power line soon.

Do you have ISTA+? This is the software to read, understand and clear the codes.

gt1 said:
i3to2002 said:
MKH said:

Do you have ISTA+? This is the software to read, understand and clear the codes.

Yes, have just downloaded it. Need a faster laptop to run it unfortunately so have one arriving tomorrow.

From what I've read and figured out, I'll need to bypass all the aribags and seatbelt sensors, clear the codes and then should be good to go.

Included inside the battery pack box is the safety box that contains contacts that when open, disconnect the battery pack from external wiring. I don't know whether the safety box contacts open automatically during a significant collision. However, I do recall reading somewhere that this safety box must be replaced after a collision. Whether what I read was about an i3 or some other EV, I can't recall. However, it might be worth looking into.

alohart said:
Included inside the battery pack box is the safety box that contains contacts that when open, disconnect the battery pack from external wiring. I don't know whether the safety box contacts open automatically during a significant collision. However, I do recall reading somewhere that this safety box must be replaced after a collision. Whether what I read was about an i3 or some other EV, I can't recall. However, it might be worth looking into.

Here's to hoping it's just a software thing...

Thanks for this though, getting the car up on a ramp today so I can start tracing all the cables.

Tom

I don't think @i3to2002 is going to read this anymore, as I can see this in his profile: Last seen May 3, 2019. But maybe he does. Or maybe someone else here can help me.

I'm thinking of buying an i3 with some minor damage but which isn't running because of the crash. I would like to know if there is any information on how such a vehicle can be repaired to run again. I can't find a thread here where someone has the same issue. Do any of you know if there is information about this here or on another place?

Back