Getting better range in comfort mode

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mamaci3

I’ve had my I3 for a little over a year now and for the majority of that time I drove in eco and eco plus. I’ve recently just kept it in comfort mode and noticed it coast a little better and does better regenerative braking. Has anyone else noticed this.

FWIW, I've found that, while it might be easier to get better efficiency in one of the Eco modes, you can achieve most of it while in comfort mode, it just takes a little more concentration and restraint, and, possibly comfort since HVAC does use power that's automatically limited when in an Eco mode. Unless you really need to save a bit of energy, the tradeoff in comfort and fun may not be worth the cost. I think the i3 was optimized in comfort mode, and the eco modes were added as a potential necessity, if you really needed a bit more range. They do work. The newer versions with larger batteries make those modes less important for most. If I wanted a more compromising vehicle, I might have bought a Leaf.

Mamaci3 said:
I’ve recently just kept it in comfort mode and noticed it coast a little better and does better regenerative braking. Has anyone else noticed this.
Nope. The only difference I've noticed is the power pedal mapping which is less responsive during the first half but more responsive during the last half of its travel in the Eco Pro modes.

Coasting better with better regenerative braking seems contradictory. If it coasts better, it's regenerating less energy.

However, all of this is controlled by software, so different system software versions likely behave slightly differently. My observations are for our 2014 BEV on the current system software version, I001-18-11-5XX.

Back