Answering BMW i3 skeptics

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwilson4web

Hi,

In spite of the warranty service calls, the BMW i3-REx remains my favorite. We also have a Prius Prime that backs up the BMW that is efficient but it is not nearly as much fun. So I get a little teasing by the Toyota fans about BMW reliability but gosh, I like the little bugger.

Other than a Jeff Dunham line about the Prius, any suggestions?

Bob Wilson

When I buy a car reliability is important, but it's not the ultimate thing I look for. For plenty of people they just want a boring SUV box to take them around from point A to B, reliability is probably one of the top things they look for. I care more about drive train (Performance, layout, and more), interior quality, vehicle build quality, and the technology. The i3 checks almost all of those boxes. About the only thing that would make it better from a car standpoint (rather than a "I want more range, or I want Y technology" standpoint), would be a front motor, for an AWD setup. It wouldn't have to be a big motor, infact it could be a fairly small motor, more like the Prius' e-FOUR system then Tesla's performance oriented AWD system.

Now, there's lots of vehicles I like, including Tesla's offerings. Tesla hasn't exactly won any reliability awards. It seems like a lot of the popular cars are boring in a way, built for people who hate driving. That's fine, take your pick, there's lots of options.

I think most people these days just won't understand. A lot of us like the experience of driving as much or more than getting there. It's the reason my ICE is a Saab turbo. "Life is too short to drive a boring car!"

Back