i3 or i8 or Tesla Replacement? - Revero Rex

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PBNB

I came across this link the other day and I am trying to figure out where this car fits in the market.

https://karmavancouver.com/revero/

Seems to have similar electric range to our older i3's of about 50 miles but has a bigger gas tank so you can go 300 miles total. Has a 21kW battery as well.

They are selling it with idea that if you drive less than 50 miles between charges you will use next to no gas.

It sort of looks like a Maserati and I am sure it is priced similar :) I don't know if it can go head to head with a fancy loaded Tesla mainly due to the range differences.

I like the solar panels on the roof. They are really trying to make something different. If only the solar cells could harness the power from the sun with enough efficiency to make the panels charge the battery quickly. If a solar panel could even provide a 1 or 2 kW/h charge, that could work. Sort of gives us a glimpse into the future potential. The older (3 years) panels that I have for my trailer produce 9 amps per hour at 12 volts. I should try it to see if the panels can keep up with my 110 volt charger. There is an inverter and some extra trailer batteries in the mix but it would interesting to see. I never thought of the i3 as a tow vehicle but this could change everything! (sorry about going off on a tangent) .

The size of the i3 roof (non-sunroof) makes it a good candidate for a solar array. If the solar panel producers could make a panel efficient enough to charge the car, that would be a best seller.

It looks like it's just the reincarnation of the Fisker Karma - an attempt at an ultra-luxury plug-in hybrid before the Tesla Model S came out. (It was designed by the same person who designed the body of the Model S - who Tesla then sued because they made their original Karma prototype look too much like the Model S that they had just designed for Tesla.

PBNB said:
I came across this link the other day and I am trying to figure out where this car fits in the market.

https://karmavancouver.com/revero/
Think more luxurious and much more expensive Chevy Volt but with a REx system that operates like that of an i3 REx (i.e., no direct connection of the REx engine to the driving wheels as can occur with as Volt).

PBNB said:
Has a 21kW battery as well.
You must have meant to write "kWh" (energy) not "kW" (power). The i3 battery pack's maximum power output is 125 kW, so 21 kW wouldn't be powerful enough to accelerate a car as heavy as the Revero at an acceptable pace.

PBNB said:
The size of the i3 roof (non-sunroof) makes it a good candidate for a solar array. If the solar panel producers could make a panel efficient enough to charge the car, that would be a best seller.
No such panels exist yet, so this is just a gimmick. Maybe it could power a ventilation fan to circulate air while parked in the sun so that the interior wouldn't heat up too much. Certainly not worth the cost of the panels.

CharonPDX said:
It looks like it's just the reincarnation of the Fisker Karma - an attempt at an ultra-luxury plug-in hybrid before the Tesla Model S came out. (It was designed by the same person who designed the body of the Model S - who Tesla then sued because they made their original Karma prototype look too much like the Model S that they had just designed for Tesla.
I heard that Fisker designed some odd looking body for the Model S, while preparing to launch Karma. Someone owns a Karma where I live- this is a cool looking car.

alohart said:
You must have meant to write "kWh" (energy) not "kW" (power). The i3 battery pack's maximum power output is 125 kW, so 21 kW wouldn't be powerful enough to accelerate a car as heavy as the Revero at an acceptable pace.

I think the rated output is almost 1,000 ft-lbs of torque and over 400 hp. I must have been referring to the battery capacity.

alohart said:
No such panels exist yet, so this is just a gimmick. Maybe it could power a ventilation fan to circulate air while parked in the sun so that the interior wouldn't heat up too much. Certainly not worth the cost of the panels.

I have 5 panels for the trailer and they are not super efficient. I can maintain my 4 @ 6 volt deep cycle batteries for several days but that is from a full charge. If the sun isn't shining, I am out of luck and I have to keep turning them to face the sun.

High speed charging solar panel technology is not there yet but I am sure that someone out there will develop it. For now, you are right that it is a gimmick. So is there hand painted emblem :)

Back