[RangeAnxiety] Survey research

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarioFER

Hi everyone :)

As a part of my PhD research, and as a part of a larger project in my home country, we are currently doing research on range anxiety, since it is one of the major obstacles for EV market penetration, especially in countries with underdeveloped charging infrastructure.

We kindly ask you to fill in the survey (http://rangeanxiety.ev.tel.fer.hr/index.php/249483?lang=en) and assist us in this research.

The goal of our research is provide business makers with a decision support system for charging infrastructure management.

We are aware that there is a lot more variables that affect the decision to charge or not to charge in real life. However, we wanted to make it simpler and first just see how these key variables influence range anxiety.

If you have any comments or questions about the survey or the topic, contact me at [email protected].

If this was not the appropriate subforum, I would kindly ask the forum administrators to move it to the correct one for the sake of visibility.

Thank you all!!

Hi DarioFER,
Do you consider an i3 REX an EV?

These questions about stopping to charge on the way to work seem a bit strange. Driving to work is generally routine, and is probably not when one would experience range anxiety.

Take my situation: work is 10 miles from home and I have a charger at home and another charger at work that I can use for free. Why would I ever stop to charge on the way to work? Pretty much just if I had so little charge that I couldn't make it the 10 miles to work, but since driving to work happens in the morning and I have a home charger, that has never happened in about 3 years of i3 ownership.

I suspect nearly everyone on here has a home charger where they do that vast majority of their charging. I have only used a public charger once thus far because public chargers are expensive, inconvenient, and unreliable. For me, roadtrips are the only time I would use public chargers. I have felt range anxiety on two occasions and they were both on trips to a low-population density area (about 70 miles from my home) when something unexpected happened and I was not able to charge as planned.

Hi Dario,

I completed your survey. It appears to based on a flawed "petrol station" model of EV charging.

Like most EV owners, I recharge my car on an inexpensive AC charge point while it is parked overnight. I set off with 100% SOC which is more than enough for one day's driving. In 5 years of EV driving I have never rapid charged the car as part of my Monday to Friday commute routine.

I use rapid chargers to complete long distance trips that are beyond single charge range.

I think most everything up to the final scenario questions are really just demographic baselines.

My commute to work is about 4 miles, so I answered 'no' to every scenario with my 22Ah i3. On the daily use, the only reason I could have for range anxiety is exactly like neglecting to put fuel in my gassers: It's all on me, not the car.

Back