New details regarding the US spec range extender

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomMoloughney

BMw is hosting i3 training for their client advisers at their Woodcliff Lake HQ this week. Some of the people there are reporting details regarding the range extender that have not yet been released like the gas tank on US i3's will only have a capacity of 1.9gal, unlike the 2.4gal tank used in Europe.
I did a blog post on all the new info learned here:

http://bmwi3.blogspot.com/2014/04/more-range-extender-details-uncovered.html

It seems odd that the BMW USA website is showing 2.4gal:

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Vehicles/2014/i3/BMWi3RangeExtender/Features_and_Specs/BMWi3RangeExtenderSpecifications.aspx

Do you think that the website is out of date?

This is getting to be disgusting to me. First we aren't getting the sunroof, next we can't activate the rex manually to maintain a higher state of charge, no they reduce the size of the fuel tank to where it is nearly useless. Actually it was already nearly useless in the USA. All so the greedy corporation can get carb credits when I don't even live in carb state yet my vehicle has to be crippled like this.

Time to think hard about cancelling my order.

fenlander said:

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Vehicles/2014/i3/BMWi3RangeExtender/Features_and_Specs/BMWi3RangeExtenderSpecifications.aspx

Yes, the BMW USA site is wrong.

Whilst i have a lot of sympathy with potential buyers being misled i also feel sorry for BMW!

The seemingly labyrinthine administrative hurdles they are asked to overcome must make manufacturing the car for different markets a complete nightmare.

All the information about white or orange (?) stickers in California seems confusing to all, which coupled with national and local rebates makes the whole issue far more complicated than it really needs to be. Potential EV/PHEV buyers are likely put off by the confusion and revert to ICE cars for an easy life.

Mind you i dont fully understand the system in the USA aside from what i have read here!

Hi guys,

thanks Tom, for the insights in USA sales prep. With another fine example of overenthusiastic use of i3's built in Confusion Generator System (tm) by BMW (tm) regarding REx top speed ;)

On a more serious note: while it seems rather disturbing that it looks like i3 has (again) some 'synthetic limits' imposed on it, especially in the US of A, most likely because of CARB regulations (and because of CO2 regulations here in EU), let's not forget that we are able to enjoy the i3 (and the likes) *because* of CARB and CO2 regulations. Without them the E-revolution wouldn't have stood a chance... Just my 2 cts....

Steven

Is there some reason beyond simplifying inventory for BMW to apply CARB restrictions on vehicles sold outside of states that follow CARB standards? We have conventional vehicles available that are sold with or without California emissions, depending on the sales location. So is there any hope that BMW might sell the 2015 i3 in non-CARB states with a European spec range extender?

Just a thought: 9 litres = 1.9 imperial gallons = 2.4 US gallons. Is this just too simple? Even NASA can get conversions wrong sometimes!

BrianStanier said:
Just a thought: 9 litres = 1.9 imperial gallons = 2.4 US gallons. Is this just too simple? Even NASA can get conversions wrong sometimes!
It's actually closer to 2.0 imperial gallons, but I like your numbers better! The numbers sort of work if actual capacity is about 8.6 liters, and BMW simply rounded up to 9 liters, but then US gallons would fall to 2.3.

[quvon ville. ..
ville"]I think the fuel tank is the same part number if I have it right.

[/quote]
Hi gonville
do you have any drawings and specifications for the RexIinterface with the battery system?
Thank you lots.

TomMoloughney said:
fenlander said:

Yes, the BMW USA site is wrong.

Tom - just from the UK .pdf of the manual.

I think the USA web site is correct. This is what it says in the English manual:-

BMW i3 Owner's handbook said:
Filling capacities: Litres / Imp. Units Petrol: 9/1.9

Back