Features I would like to see

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waitingi3

1/I would like to see an information display about the battery status that is numerical and not a set of pictorials with growing leaves or developing trees.

2/ It would be neat if the car would recharge while being towed behind an RV. It is exactly the kind of small car that would be used for local travel by RVers.

3/ Personally I prefer HD radio to satellite - give me the choice at least.

4/ Power drivers seat with memory, or even better copy the Tesla scheme where the car knows who is driving by recognizing the key fob.

5/ Use the cellular network for data if you must, but also let me talk to the car using wifi at home. I want the car to keep a data base of its travels, etc and make that available on wifi as a web page. If my dumb printer can do that a smart car should have no problem doing it too.

6/ BMW should be talking to Tesla, Leaf and iMiev drivers too, not just those who have experience in the Mini and other BMW vehicles.

7/ Make the connection for REx so that one could rent or build a REx equivalent on a small trailer, or add it temporarily to a non REx car.

8/ Please make it possible for me to buy one in Arizona as soon as they are available.

I'm sure I will think of more. Other ideas???? Jeff

Thinking some more about where the i3 might go in the future, I think the range extender is basically a good idea but is not really a good option for the i3 given the i3 design concept of minimum weight.

I would like to see the J1772 connector moved to the rear of the car and have BMW develop a very light trailer with a 25KW generator having a DC quick charge connector to go to the car. That way all the gas engine junk (fuel, cooling, exhaust, etc) would not be a permanent part of the i3 but would be available when needed. Loaning out the trailers would be much more cost effective than loaning out gas cars, a benefit for BMW. Side benefit: If you had the trailer during a trip you would be able to share it with other Electronaughts and give them a quick charge at any point. Nice!

Alternatively, reduce the battery to about 10KWH and use the empty battery space for a gas tank and make the i3 into a PHEV like a Volt. Given the price of batteries this combination would probably sell for less than $40,000 in the US given the published price of $41,350 for the pure BEV.

Comments?

The gas generator on a trailer idea has come up over and over and over ever since Lutz and Lauckner wowed the industry with the Volt concept 6.5 years ago. It's just not going to happen, for many reasons including crash safety.

Smaller battery? Then you wouldn't be differentiated enough from a Volt, and would be down at a lower price point that BMW likely doesn't want their brand at.

Plse have look at www.eptender.com on this idea of range extending module.

Regarding the crash safety issue: in my version the wheels are as large as those of a car (16'). This creates a shield which protects the fuel tank in case of rear crash. The fuel tank is locateed between the wheels, as is typically the case in cars. The Tender (trailer) even acts as a crash box and better protects the passengers.

Having large wheels is made possible by the steering mechanism which you can see on the video on the web site above.

As a result EP Tender should be able to pass the crash safety standards, and at the same time have the required convenience.

I would allow i3 drivers (and other EVs) to drive longer distances at better cruising speed, and on top have additional payload with the luggage rack. EP Tender is rented occasionally when needed.

jbsegard said:
http://www.eptender.com

This does look like an incredibly sensible idea.

Does this use a separate connector to the standard one and how much would these modifications costs?

How would an i3 tow it? My understanding is there are no tow points (EU approved) on the i3.

Yes, the car would have to be approved for towing a small trailer, but this is not a major technical issue - more a commercial one.

There would be a specific 400V plug on the back, integrated with the hitch. It would be an open standard so that any one could use it for standard trailers or competitor's range extending devices (like e-buggy for example). Cost on the car side would be reasonable, especially if mounted as an option in factory. Say about 500 € (mecanical hitch, plug, cable, fuses and relays)

Personally I expect a premium car to have a longer EV range. Without REx, i3 would be dead in the water.

Ability to set default driving mode.

With just a couple days' experience with the car (i3 REx), I find I'm driving most of the time in Eco Pro mode. On startup, it defaults to Comfort mode. It would be nice to be able to set the default so that I don't have to push the Eco Pro button every time.

pdurham said:
Ability to set default driving mode.

With just a couple days' experience with the car (i3 REx), I find I'm driving most of the time in Eco Pro mode. On startup, it defaults to Comfort mode. It would be nice to be able to set the default so that I don't have to push the Eco Pro button every time.

Agreed... The last thing I do before pulling away, every time, is switch to eco-pro.

Some kind of warning if Active CC is starting to get upset. Just 2 seconds is enough to depress the throttle a little and prevent a full sudden deactivation.

Back