dvottero

DIY: Highbeam Headlamp Replacement / Upgrade

Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:57 pm

The halogen high beams that ship with the i3 are very yellow in color compared to the LED headlamps. Here's a DIY on how to replace the high beams in your i3. The following steps are also applicable if you need to replace the turn signal bulb next to the high beam. These steps are not documented in the US users manual.

The high beam is located below the main headlamp assembly. Here's AndyW's car showing the difference in color temperature between the LED headlights and the Halogen high beams.

No tools are required. The stock bulb is an Osram H11 55 Watt bulb, which is BMW Part Number 63217160784. I chose to replace this with a Philips H11 CrystalVision Ultra bulb. Any H11 headlamp will work.

Before beginning make sure that the car is powered off and it is safe to make the repairs.

The access for the high beam bulbs is in the front wheel well. First step is to turn the wheels all the way to one direction in order to gain access:

The access panel is circular plastic piece with the cross through the middle and three tabs pictured above. To remove the access panel, rotate it counterclockwise until it releases.

Once it is removed, you'll have access to the high beam and turn signal lamp. Depress the tabs on the bottom of the electrical connector to release.

After the plug is disconnected, rotate the entire bulb counter clockwise until you are able to pull it out of the housing. Reverse this process to install the new bulb.

The above image shows the original high beam bulb on the left, and the new "bluer" bulb on the right. And here's AndyW's car showing the same comparison:

XXL

Re: DIY: Highbeam Headlamp Replacement / Upgrade

Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:04 am

thx for posting this, very informative.

bxb40

Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:41 am

I understand the desire to color match but are you sure that the yellow color was not because those are fog lights? There are no other fog lights on the car and those need be mounted low, just like what you show, and need to be yellow-ish light in order to reduce glare in foggy conditions... For $16 (ebay) maybe worth trying, changing them seems easy enough.

Bunter

Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:06 pm

bxb40 wrote:I understand the desire to color match but are you sure that the yellow color was not because those are fog lights? There are no other fog lights on the car and those need be mounted low, just like what you show, and need to be yellow-ish light in order to reduce glare in foggy conditions... For $16 (ebay) maybe worth trying, changing them seems easy enough.

Those low mounted beams are the main beams not the fog lights. There are no front fogs.

Bill
Born Electric 15.03.14

Bunter

Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:07 pm

Also note that the left hand side access panel turns anticlockwise to open but the right hand access panel turns clockwise to open.

Bill
Born Electric 15.03.14

Bigbiscuits

Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:15 pm

Thanks for the tips. Replaced the high beams and the turn signals with LED's. Much better!

I33t

Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:49 pm

Bigbiscuits wrote:Thanks for the tips. Replaced the high beams and the turn signals with LED's. Much better!

Which LEDs did you use for the main beams?
2014 BMW i3 BEV deposit placed 19th Dec 2013
Delivered in Melbourne 4/12/2014. Arrived locally 11/12/14, with 24km on the clock.

Bigbiscuits

Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:25 pm

Philips H11 CrystalVision Ultra bulb. Same as the photos above.

I33t

Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:18 pm

Oh, I see now. You put LEDs in the turn signals, not the main beams...
2014 BMW i3 BEV deposit placed 19th Dec 2013
Delivered in Melbourne 4/12/2014. Arrived locally 11/12/14, with 24km on the clock.

Bigbiscuits

Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:25 pm

Yup, that's correct. I already had the LED option for the main lights. That one is much more complicated with lenses so not too sure about upgrading from a standard to LED. For the turn signals I found these through a Facebook discussion and purchased them through Amazon:

iJDMTOY (2) Amber Yellow Error Free PWY24W LED Bulbs
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KO6UBBS

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”