dirtyblueshirt

Re: Rear-Fog Switch Retrofit (U.S. i3s)

Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:32 pm

websterize wrote:Bulb 7 is the rear-fog light, according to the BMW training manual, and their designation trumps all. Forum member PhilH, who is in the U.K., confirmed that bulb 7 is the one linked to the switch from the factory. I hoped coding these settings would illuminate it and the instrument icon:

3068 > NSL_Verbaut Set to: verbaut
3064 > Mapping_Nebelschlussl_L_output Set to: nsl_l
3064 > Mapping_Nebelschlussl_L_Function Set to: nebelschlusslicht
3064 > Mapping_Nebelschlussl_R_output Set to: nsl_r
3064 > Mapping_Nebelschlussl_R_Function Set to: nebelschlusslicht

Coding 3068 NSL_Verbaut activated only the icon in the instrument cluster; all bumper lights remained dark. But adding 3064 > Mapping_Nebelschluss turned on bulb 5, which BMW designates as turn signals. These flash as the emergency lights when the trunk is open. The brightness of bulb 5 is similar to the tail light (1). Until I can figure out how to activate bulb 7, these will do.

Question, since I'm digging this up from the dead.. Did you ever find the code for bulb 7?
2014 BMW i3 BEV Giga World
2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost Premium
Instagram: @dirtyblueshirt

jadnashuanh

Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:32 pm

This isn't a specific answer to your question, but there may not be a separate wire that only turns the reverse lights on! BMW puts digital logic in the light panel, and sends a digital, serial signal to it, and the light module then turns on the light. This allows you to not have to run as many high-current (and thus heavier gauge) wires. It also means that the switches can be very light duty since they are not switching any current, only sending a signal to a computer, digitally. So, in this case, there's probably one 12vdc line and one ground, then a pair of small wires that carry a digital signal. The reason you need to code the i3 to be able to turn on the fog light is that the computer was not programmed to recognize the message sent from the switch panel. On my 2011 GT, the programming was there, but there was no switch to generate it! So, just swapping the switch made it work. IOW, the wiring is there (power and serial data), but the car needed to be programmed to recognize the message to do what you wanted. Why the USA doesn't rate fog lights, even when they're already in the panels in the rear of most of their cars, really irks me. Since I don't drive my i3 longer distances, I've not invested in trying to make the fog lights work as opposed to my GT, which is my long-distance tourer which is more likely to be out when the weather could turn dicey.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

dirtyblueshirt

Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:05 pm

jadnashuanh wrote:Why the USA doesn't rate fog lights, even when they're already in the panels in the rear of most of their cars, really irks me.

Especially since there's nothing in the DOT regs prohibiting it... many Volvo and Mercedes cars equip them in the US-market cars.
2014 BMW i3 BEV Giga World
2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost Premium
Instagram: @dirtyblueshirt

SSi3

Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:12 am

dirtyblueshirt wrote:
jadnashuanh wrote:Why the USA doesn't rate fog lights, even when they're already in the panels in the rear of most of their cars, really irks me.

Especially since there's nothing in the DOT regs prohibiting it... many Volvo and Mercedes cars equip them in the US-market cars.

Nothing prohibiting but also nothing requiring them either unlike all EU markets. So if the lights aren't required here the oems will save some coin and leave them out. Plus no one in North America knows how to use them properly because there's no knowledge of them and no training of them. I've followed enough cars with them on in perfect weather to confirm this :D
2015 i3 REx - born electric 4/25/15

alohart

Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:12 am

SSi3 wrote:Nothing prohibiting but also nothing requiring them either unlike all EU markets.

Not required in all EU markets. Certainly not here in Sweden unless that's changed recently. I don't know whether Swedish i3's have them activated.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

jadnashuanh

Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:13 pm

Well, there are certainly lots of people that run around with their front fog lights on all of the time, and that does bug me (well, not on i3's since they don't have front fogs!), but I do like and use them occasionally on my other car in the rear. Rear fog lights can be more distracting when the weather doesn't call for them, though.
Jim DeBruycker

websterize

Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:23 am

dirtyblueshirt wrote:Question, since I'm digging this up from the dead.. Did you ever find the code for bulb 7?

No, I did not find the setting to change bulb 7. I suspect it's in the BDC_BODY module, along with the other tail light settings.

spydrz04

Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:18 pm

This will be my first mod, thanks OP for the writeup.
2013 X1 xDrive35i Alpinweiß/Schwarz/M Sport/Premium/Tech/Dinan Stage 2
2015 i3 Capparisweiss/Solaric

jadnashuanh

Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:56 pm

FWIW, on most of the newer BMW's...the rear fog light is literally already there in the panel...it's just that BMW does not include that switch (and programming for some) in the car. There's two very small plugs with small wire (no where near big enough to switch loads) in the switch panel and a small circuit board. The switches only provide inputs to the logic board which talks to the computer, and that sends the signal to another board closer to the lamps which then turns the lamp(s) on. This allows one power line to provide current to more than one lamp through most of the car and keeps the cost of the switches down while including more flexibility.
Jim DeBruycker

gregorz767

Pictures Rear-Fog Switch Retrofit (U.S. i3s)

Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:04 pm

Hi.
Thank you for your post. I am facing the conversion to EU version of my US i3.

On your post I can not see your pictures. Can you send me them, I do not want to brake anything while changing the light switch in the cockpit.

Regarding the coding, can you specify what hardware, connectors soft or any I need to use your codes?

Rgds Greg

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”