ZeroEmissionz

Re: i3 Accident Collision :(

Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:28 am

I think you misunderstood me, I have replaced that blown fuse and their is still an error saying drivetrain do not drive call BMW dealer, only thing I can think of is I heard if you drag the car it generates current in the wheels (that the tow truck may accidently done not knowing) and may have damaged something else , my question is what is that small plug not connected to the pyro fuse in the picture above , but the one to the lower of it. As the error that came up was " terminal temperature not readable" the tech who came out isn't from BMW and said it was this terminal however it is $1200 to replace to learn if this is the issue, but bmw service techs said the negative terminal is the one responsible for the battery monitoring, but this isn't damaged

Bawareca

Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:53 am

jadnashuanh wrote:FWIW, when that fuseable link is blown, it does not disconnect all of the battery output...some things are still enabled like the BMW emergency cellular connection, and probably a few other things (like the hazard lights?). I do not know what circuits remain on, but there are some.

On ICE cars, only the starter will be disconnected, everything else connected. On i3 the pyrofuse blows only the connection to the DC/DC inverter, in the EME. Everything else remains connected.

Bawareca

Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:54 am

ZeroEmissionz wrote:I think you misunderstood me, I have replaced that blown fuse and their is still an error saying drivetrain do not drive call BMW dealer, only thing I can think of is I heard if you drag the car it generates current in the wheels (that the tow truck may accidently done not knowing) and may have damaged something else , my question is what is that small plug not connected to the pyro fuse in the picture above , but the one to the lower of it. As the error that came up was " terminal temperature not readable" the tech who came out isn't from BMW and said it was this terminal however it is $1200 to replace to learn if this is the issue, but bmw service techs said the negative terminal is the one responsible for the battery monitoring, but this isn't damaged

You need to have the exact code and use ISTA to run a test schedule to figure out what is the problem.

ZeroEmissionz

Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:17 am

Is ISTA run on a standard OBD2 cable or DSL link cable?

ZeroEmissionz

Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:45 pm

Bawareca wrote:
ZeroEmissionz wrote:I think you misunderstood me, I have replaced that blown fuse and their is still an error saying drivetrain do not drive call BMW dealer, only thing I can think of is I heard if you drag the car it generates current in the wheels (that the tow truck may accidently done not knowing) and may have damaged something else , my question is what is that small plug not connected to the pyro fuse in the picture above , but the one to the lower of it. As the error that came up was " terminal temperature not readable" the tech who came out isn't from BMW and said it was this terminal however it is $1200 to replace to learn if this is the issue, but bmw service techs said the negative terminal is the one responsible for the battery monitoring, but this isn't damaged

You need to have the exact code and use ISTA to run a test schedule to figure out what is the problem.

I with Ran a scan no errors using my downloaded copy of ISTA/D but it does have errors on dash and still won't start. I've been told by BMW today it is a "Safety Box" other known as "Accumulator" that is located on the battery itself that will need to be removed from the vehicle :( I hope it is not this. as it is very difficult fix!

It may be the IBS lead (negative lead) that is faulty, I might just take it in to them and get them to check it out, I don't think anyone is mechanical smart about these cars just yet , only one technician per workshop work on them!

Alec

Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:11 am

Hi, I'm in the same situation now.
It would be great if you write what was the actual problem.

ZeroEmissionz

Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:26 am

taking it to BMW and will post back here how it goes :roll:

graememwl

Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:12 am

Any update? Interested minds would like to know :)

shadysuliman15

Tue May 15, 2018 1:28 pm

so the only problem preventing the car from starting was the positive connector form the positive terminal? no " battery safety box" needed to be replaced in order to get the car to start?

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”