ohara

Re: New battery tech

Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:41 am

Claim a significant charge is possible in as little as one minute!

Manualrain

Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:57 am

Ad the year goes by, new technology will emerge... S0 am not surprised with the update

jadnashuanh

Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:34 pm

Fisker just announced a breakthrough in SS batteries. Claim to have a vehicle for sale next year with them...almost a full charge in minutes. We'll see how that works out. BMW says it's well on its way to SS battery tech, but it's a few years away. Now, finding a place that can source that much energy that fast will be problematic as well.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

Oleksiy

Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:31 am

We don't need minutes literally, the upcoming 400 kW chargers may fill up such solid state batteries within 15-20 min, and this would do just fine :roll:

jadnashuanh

Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:43 pm

Another interesting battery discovery from the labs that allows significantly faster recharge rates....
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/11 ... ttery-cell

It will be really interesting when these discoveries make it into large scale production some day...hopefully sooner rather than later.
Jim DeBruycker

jadnashuanh

Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:19 pm

Green Car Reports today had an article about Fisker's anticipated solid state battery. It has an interesting waffle shaped electrode to increase the surface area. They claim it will be in their car in 2020. We'll see if they can pull it off. Most everyone else that is talking about solid state is saying mid-2020's for their first commercial install.
Jim DeBruycker

CharonPDX

Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:21 pm

Yeah, I'm rather doubtful about anything Fisker says after the debacle that was the Karma...

The big factor with these "500 miles on a charge, 1 minute to recharge" is the truly insane amount of energy delivery that would be needed. Even if we assume an ultra-efficient system, where they could get 500 miles on, say, 75 kWh of juice, that would require 4.5 MEGAwatts of energy to be pumped in to it to recharge in 1 minute.

According to Madison Gas & Electric, the average office building is 15,000 square feet, and uses 17.3 Kilowatt-hours per square foot per year. For an average constant energy usage of 29.62 Kilowatts. That's right, to recharge 75 kWh in 1 minute, you'd need to supply enough energy to power 155 average office buildings.

Without *MAJOR* improvements to the electricity infrastructure, you'd cause major brownouts any time you tried to recharge one of those. (Or else the charging stations would need large battery banks, with long breaks between charging cars.) Even Tesla's upcoming "Megacharger" for their upcoming Semi is only 1.6 Megawatts. (And will likely have banks of batteries behind them, and be only in extremely-high-energy-availability areas.)

I just can't imagine a setup where a recharging station for a sedan has as much energy flowing to it as will be used by three recharging semis at an electrified truck stop.

jadnashuanh

Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:57 pm

Porsche dealers will have 350Kw units before their new EV shows up. The neat thing about SS batteries is that they can accept power faster, and, in theory, anyways, should handle charge/discharge cycles with less degradation. That doesn't mean it will be available everywhere.

Super fast recharging will require on-site energy storage of some sort, whether it's batteries, supercapacitors, or some other technique, otherwise, the surge would disrupt the network as was discussed above. That will also require special batteries that can handle that large discharge rate and still have a viable life.
Jim DeBruycker

MKH

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:58 am

That's right, to recharge 75 kWh in 1 minute, you'd need to supply enough energy to power 155 average office buildings.
'

Exactly right - and then Fisker will need to invent a new conducting medium to charge through, because that much juice flowing through any existing metallic cable, unless the gauge was so large it would be many inches across in thickness and weigh in at several hundred pounds per foot, would flash-vaporize in milliseconds.
Maybe some type of induction charging would work (in theory only) - but can you imagine your fill. "Thank you for charging up your Fisker at our new Fisker Super-Charge Station, where you just downloaded enough juice to power a small city. That will be $300, sir. Will you be putting that on your MasterCard?"
Mark H.
2015 i3 Rex, Capparis White, Tera World, Tech + Driver + Parking, Harman Kardon, 20 inch wheels

jadnashuanh

Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:01 pm

I think the systems using the super high capacity chargers are planning liquid cooled supply cables.

One interesting article I read said that a well-designed inductive charging system can actually exceed the efficiency of a wired one, at up to 97% efficiency, but that only works on acv, not dcv.
Jim DeBruycker

Return to “Other Electric Vehicles”